I feel like I have been complaining about this Florida "fall/winter" weather for a long time. FINALLY, the temps have dropped into the 50-60's and it is beautiful. I hate that my blood is so thin now because I am SO cold all the time and it hasn't even dropped below 50 during the day! Pathetic!! Granted, the humid "cold" is much different than a dry "cold," like in the west. Humid cold goes straight into your bones, I swear. It is bitter cold. But still...we are totally pathetic.
This chili is the perfect thing to make on cold days. The original recipe is from Martha Stewart, but since I'm not a huge fan of zucchini in chili's, I decided to change around a few things.
What you'll need:
1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
1 orange or red pepper (orange is the best!)
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (that is a looot. I do about 1-2 tsp of my favorite jarred garlic)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or water! I'm trying to eliminate extra oils)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 can tomato sauce
1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chile's
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chile's
In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and orange pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and pepper and garlic is soft. Add cumin and chili powder, season with salt and pepper, and cook until spices are fragrant.
Add black beans, pinto beans, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes into a crock pot. When onion and pepper mixture is done, add to crock pot. Stir it up. Put crock pot on high for 3-4 hours. Add any extra water if you think it is still pretty thick. I love my chili to be thick, but some people like it more soupy.
I never thought about sauteing the onion before you add it... is that the proper way cause I could just be doing it wrong. I love the color the pepper adds to it! Looks yum!
ReplyDeleteThat looks great- and you are so lucky! Brinley is such a good eater! Joshua tells me now that things look disgusting or he's not eating them- he even told me one night, "Mom, that soup looks a little bit stupid." He got in trouble for staying stupid:) I know one day they will be eating everything in sight but until then......... thanks for all the recipe ideas!!
ReplyDeleteYou're such a cute mom/daughter. I love that you video everything. I can't wait to have a family so that we make videos of more than just our dog. We're sick.
ReplyDeleteThat chili looks legit. Yum!