Well, it's that time again.
Losing the dreaded baby weight.
Time has flown by and my 6 week appointment is Monday. Am I crazy to admit my weight now with the holidays coming? Or more determined to not eat everything my eyes see? I'm not sure. Maybe if it gets bad enough, I'll stop posting! haha
And being inspired by my girlfriend, I am going to be honest. And hold myself to that standard. Last week, I "jogged" on the treadmill for 10 minutes and did the elliptical for 5 minutes. I was wiped. I think I can push myself more now because I learned that I MUST feed Ellie before I do any sort of jogging. And, I need to wear 2 sports bras. Holy mama I looked awkward with my hand on my chest while jogging! It felt good to sweat! It felt really good! It is much easier working out without a monstrous belly in my way. After I got back, I had Ryan write down my body measurements and so I can see how far I have come in a few months. Weight is one thing, but I think seeing where your body is shrinking is very rewarding.
My goals:
1. Obviously, to get back down to my pre-baby weight. But even more? Firm up. My weight before kids was only 5 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight but dang my body looked much different. I lost all the weight and a bit more after Brinley, but I still felt....soft. My body just wasn't toned. Somehow, I lost the weight by itself. I barely worked out after I had Brinley. It took basically the whole year to get there, but I did get there. This time around, I HAVE to look banging at Ryan's graduation. So I am giving myself 6 months. Hello, a wife of an attorney and not just a law student? I need to step it up haha.
2. I have decided to do 30 minutes of exercise 3-4 days a week, or more if I can get out of the house. We are lucky to have a great gym center in our complex and it is close, so basically what I'm saying, there is NO excuse.
3. Eating better. I love snacks. I love sugar. I love cookies. Ryan will be the first to admit it. I need a treat a day, but I don't need 4 cookies. Only 1. This will be my hardest battle. After I get into better shape, I'll start dropping calories too, but with exclusively breastfeeding, I need to be careful about that.
4. I am already doing great at drinking tons of water and mostly water. But now, ONLY water. No more diet cokes for me.
5. And a personal goal is to stop putting myself and my body image down. My friend has inspired me to stop doing that! People have been telling me how good I look and I respond back with something negative instead of saying thank you. I freaking had a BABY. Why can't my mind agree with my body that you can't have a baby, and gain 50 pounds, and drop it instantly? It is going to take time and lots of work to get back to where I was before having Ellie, but first I need to have good self confidence. I won't succeed if I keep putting myself down.
1. Obviously, to get back down to my pre-baby weight. But even more? Firm up. My weight before kids was only 5 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight but dang my body looked much different. I lost all the weight and a bit more after Brinley, but I still felt....soft. My body just wasn't toned. Somehow, I lost the weight by itself. I barely worked out after I had Brinley. It took basically the whole year to get there, but I did get there. This time around, I HAVE to look banging at Ryan's graduation. So I am giving myself 6 months. Hello, a wife of an attorney and not just a law student? I need to step it up haha.
2. I have decided to do 30 minutes of exercise 3-4 days a week, or more if I can get out of the house. We are lucky to have a great gym center in our complex and it is close, so basically what I'm saying, there is NO excuse.
3. Eating better. I love snacks. I love sugar. I love cookies. Ryan will be the first to admit it. I need a treat a day, but I don't need 4 cookies. Only 1. This will be my hardest battle. After I get into better shape, I'll start dropping calories too, but with exclusively breastfeeding, I need to be careful about that.
4. I am already doing great at drinking tons of water and mostly water. But now, ONLY water. No more diet cokes for me.
5. And a personal goal is to stop putting myself and my body image down. My friend has inspired me to stop doing that! People have been telling me how good I look and I respond back with something negative instead of saying thank you. I freaking had a BABY. Why can't my mind agree with my body that you can't have a baby, and gain 50 pounds, and drop it instantly? It is going to take time and lots of work to get back to where I was before having Ellie, but first I need to have good self confidence. I won't succeed if I keep putting myself down.
Starting weight as of November 16:
150.5
So bare with me. I need encouragement.

Girl, you can do it!!! After being sedentary being on bedrest with Ava for 20wks, I gained weight... So after that I lost my baby weight plus an additional 75lbs. If I can do it, I know you can! And I feel you on holding your boobs while exercising, feels like jumping up and down with 15 lb bowling balls, I also have to wear 2 bras :)
ReplyDeleteHey I'm glad I'm not the only one fighting to get rid of that baby weight :)
ReplyDeleteYou can totally do it!
You and I are in the SAME BOAT! But you probably have less weight to lose than I do. My goal is to lose 74 lbs!! I'm down 8.8 lbs in the last two weeks so I have 65.2 left, but it's a battle!
ReplyDeleteNot 30, I'm shooting for 20. My goal weight for my frame is probably 125-130 but seeing as though my boobs probably weigh 10 lbs, I am going for fit and tone. As long as I'm nursing, these mamas aren't shrinking!!
ReplyDelete20 sounds much better! Plus, you make me laugh, my tata's might weigh a few ounces a piece...ha!
ReplyDeleteI have to agree, your defense is best when you grocery shop on a full stomach and simply chose not to buy the tempting bad food. Once it's in your house? It's easy to justify and eat it, you know, since you spent money on it already.
ReplyDeleteI don't think 30 lbs in 6 months is impossible, but it is pretty drastic for a nursing mama. To reach that as a regular non-nursing woman would be reducing calories by 500+ a day, every day, for the entire six months. True, not impossible, but maybe too strict for someone nursing a baby. But of course, you'll always know your body best. Maybe 30 lbs is totally realistic, you'll be the best judge of that!
Girl. You are so beautiful, and I know you can do this! You have so many friends that have definitely got your back, we'll be there for you!
ReplyDeleteI get really excited to talk about anything fitness/health/nutrition related, so if I come across preachy or like I'm rambling, just chalk it up to me being passionate and move on. But I have to tell you, it really is possible to achieve what you are picturing in your mind. You can lose weight, you can firm up, you can be that smokin' hot mama at graduation.
I have to tell you, the best, most permanent results I've experienced, take time. Eating healthy takes time to practice, healthy eating takes time to change your body, working out takes time to shape your muscles. It all takes time. So if six months comes and you're not where you ultimately want to be? Keep trekkin, Even if it takes a year (or two...or three) to get your version of a dream body, it'll still be a year well spent. The goals you've outlined are so so good! And they'll provide a terrific foundation for everything you're going to change about your body, but even then, there are days where you're gonna fall off the wagon. And that's totally okay. Par for the course actually. Expect bad days, and then move on without looking back regretful. You're obviously going to do your best, so hearty pats on the back always trump beating yourself up over imperfections.
I remember at only 4 weeks post-partum with Ethan I dove into P90X full-time, and it was awesome! And I felt so good! And I bounced back to a good size fairly soon. Even then I didn't fully lose my baby weight until after his first birthday. The body takes at least a year to recover and bounce back, and return to 'normal' after pregnancy. I'm talking hormone levels (which affect metabolism and your emotions), the swelling, your energy...everything takes a year to fully recover. Obviously, it gets better and better with each month post-partum, but it's okay if your body isn't at it's prime by 6 or 7 months post-delivery. There's nothing wrong with giving yourself some time to ease into eating differently, working out and for heavens-sake, adjusting to two kids!
You are so gorgeous Megs. And you have every right to own that. Even how you look right now is just so impressive! Seriously, look at your photos. Your skin glows, your hair is shiny, and I saw those new jeans you posted on Facebook. There is so much about you right now that you have every right to brag up. So, do it. Not to mention, it's okay to stay a little soft and curvy while your sustaining another human being! Come on now.
I'm SO rambling. I'm SO sorry. But I just had to let your beautiful self know you can do this and I'm there for you, every good and bad day that it takes!
xoxo
You'll drop 30 lbs EASY by graduation. The only advice i have about the cookie and treats is to just not buy it. That is one thing I am surprised I was able to kick, but I noticed if Chris and I didn't buy those kinds of things then it wasn't a temptation. You'll do great and look AMAZING Mrs. Ryan Attorney at Law =)
ReplyDeleteway to go mama! you got this!
ReplyDeleteand the responding negatively to compliments has been on my mind too! that was actually in our yw lesson not too long ago with the challenge to just smile and accept it and not spin it to be bad on yourself!
GO MEAGS!! you can do it!! xo
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiration Meagan!!! You can totally do this. I just bought a gym membership last month and I was going so strong until I got sick...but I've got to get back in it. It's especially hard when I know our money is going to waste if I don't go! Keep up the good work :)
ReplyDeleteYou can do it!! You are gorgeous!! Remember weight is just a number, it's how you feel is what matters. I've been working out a few nights a week and noticed I have lots more patience and I'm not near as tired. It's also amazing to have just a few minutes to yourself to kind of unwind!! Do it for your sanity as well as the weight loss. Haha
ReplyDeleteJust train for a marathon and it will just melt off! (: But seriously, you look great! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI wish I was 150 and I didn't just have a kid I think you are going to do great!! good luck !
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you, Meags! This is awesome and inspiring. I am still very very soft from having Greta...ohhhhhh almost 3 years ago. Yikes. The eating right, I can do. The exercise? I struggle!!! You may have just lit a fire under me.
ReplyDelete