Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ellie's first taste of rice cereal

I know I know, I just blogged about not getting Ellie on rice cereal until 6 months, but over the past few days she has shown signs of being ready. She is so curious about us eating food. And I am hoping that this dinner taste of rice cereal will help her sleep longer through the night (saying that will probably back fire on me!). 

sooo...how did she do?


Well, she didn't gag. Which I think is a great sign. Granted, the first taste of rice cereal is extremely liquidy, so I'm not sure if she got a sense of texture, but she didn't gag. I think she swallowed a bit. By the end, she started to open her mouth when the spoon came towards her. She was definitely interested in grabbing the spoon. That girl and her hands! She grabs anything and everything if it comes within her reach. and those chubby fingers! I die. 







The second day was much better. I didn't water it down as much and I think she swallowed more. I'm only making maybe a tablespoon of rice cereal with breast milk. Out of the 10 bites, she may have swallowed 2.




Her little lips smacking the rice cereal! So cute. And Brinley was her biggest cheerleader. The past few days have given me a glimpse into the future of Ellie trying and learning new things, and Brinley right at her side cheering her on throughout the whole thing.

So right now, we are sticking with once a day, after her last feed of the day, around dinner time. If she shows signs of rice cereal slowing down her ahem #2's, we will switch to oatmeal cereal. That happened with Brinley, and her system regulated when we switched to oatmeal. So we are just going to sit back and wait a few days and see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Greta and I watched this together and she kept repeating whatever Brinley was saying the WHOLE TIME. Hahaha. This is so cute. And a HUGE milestone. Did Brinley call her Els-a-bells? Dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. go ellie! that video was so cute and so fun to hear brinley talking so much. what a sweet older sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Ellie! Solids are so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete