Thursday, September 5, 2013

TUTORIAL: Quilted Christmas Stocking

I can't wait to share this tutorial with you all today! I've had my Christmas fabric since about February and I knew that if I didn't get started with it soon, these stockings wouldn't be ready for this coming Christmas!

What You'll Need:
pins
scissors
rotory cutter
thread
1/2 yard of fabric for each stocking
1/2 yard of fabric for lining for each stocking
1/2 yard of batting for each stocking

Use any stocking pattern you want, big or small, and base that on the amount of fabric you'll need for each one. (here are some examples of patterns here, here)

Cut out your pieces. Cut your batting. Layer the outer stocking fabric to the batting for each side of the stocking. And pin each piece together.

Now, start your quilt-like design. For this, I just sewed zig-zag back and forth all the way to the bottom.



Now, you need to do the zig-zag pattern again but going the opposite direction so that you're starting on the wide part and sewing to the opposite wide part of the previous zig-zag. wow if you understand that, awesome job!


Finished product.


Do both stocking pieces.


Match up the stocking pieces, right sides together, and pin, and sew.


Turn right side out.


Now, sew the lining. Right sides together, pin, and sew. Leave wrong side out, don't turn it around.



The next step is tricky because you are going to sew the lining to the stocking. This always confuses me, so I hope my explanation and pictures help. With the stocking right side out, shove inside the lining, with the lining being wrong side out. Match up the top seams, and pin, leaving about a 3-4 inch opening to turn the stocking. Sew around the top. Turn right side out and shove the lining into the stocking. Fold over the exposed seems that were kept to turn the stocking, and pin. Sew all the way around the top to close it off.





All complete!! 


Hope this was a helpful tutorial. These were super fun to make! I plan on adding some gold bias tape around the top to finish them off with a loop to hang and somehow embroidering our names on the front. I'll keep you all posted how they come out in the end!

11 comments:

  1. I have been waiting for this! I think I can do it. Very well explained. Eeks! Gonna go get fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes! I really didn't think about making them perfect, just go back and forth....back and forth. The trickiest part is definitely getting down to the toe of the stocking.

      Delete
  3. Awesome tutorial! Your stocking/lining explanation was perfect! And the pictures were even more helpful! I've never understood that part in other tutorials. I'm going to make some for our family! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out SO well! I love them!! Where did you find such cute fabric??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember!!! There are so many cute christmas prints out right now. Check fabric.com. Etsy has a TON but more expensive, I guess. But you don't need more than 1/2 yard for each so it isn't thaaat much fabric.

      Delete
  5. Alright. I think I need to get my hands on some fabric and start sewing when my machine arrives in country. I hope I can do this. I hope! I am feeling good vibes about this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! I bet there are killer fabric choices in Japan!!

      Delete
  6. these look great! i love the look that the stitching adds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these!!! If only I had a sewing machine :-/

    ReplyDelete