Friday, February 17, 2012

Fenton Briggs

Yesterday, Ryan's Grandpa Briggs passed away. Which was an ironic date because four years ago, Ryan proposed to me on the dock of my parents house. February 16th has a new meaning for me now- my life as a Briggs was going to begin, and sweet Grandpa Briggs passed away. He was 89 years old and lived a full life. I met Grandpa when Ryan and I were engaged, and he was the sweetest man. I love that about Ryan's grandparents, they welcomed me into their family with open arms. Grandpa Briggs was a teaser, which explains why Ryan teases me sometimes relentlessly :-) it is all out of love! And Ryan's precious Grandmother, Elsie? I. Love. Her. She is such an amazing woman and I know she is already missing her sweetheart. I plan on naming one of our future babes in honor of her, and I know she would just love that.

One of the greatest memories I have with Grandpa Briggs was being able to be with him over Christmas 2009. Grandpa and Grandma Briggs drove to Rexburg from Pocatello for Ryan's graduation and only a few days later we all met up at the cabin in Driggs. They loved seeing Brinley and being able to cuddle with her. She was only 6ish weeks old and soooooo itty bitty. I love multiple generations being together because we could see so clearly how blessed our family is.


It was amazing to be together over that Christmas break and even though I didn't know Grandpa Briggs very well, or for very long, I know he was a good man and I loved the moments we spent together. I know he was a good man because my father-in-law Larry is one of the most wonderful man I have ever met. He is so genuinely wonderful and I love my Briggs family so much. And of course, my wonderful husband who loved, respected, and honored his grandfather. Ryan is so proud that his Grandpa served in the Army Air Corps flying planes. I have seen those metals, pictures, and model airplanes in Grandpa's study. He was a babe in those military pictures! Swoooon!


He battled many health problems towards the end of his life and I feel so blessed to have known him, and for him to have met Brinley.  We love you, Grandpa and you better tell our future children, no funny business next time trying to get to earth, okkkay??? Whip them into shape!


Grandpa Briggs
Larry my father-in-law
Ryan
and
Brinley.

Oh, how I am so grateful you blessed me with my rockstar husband and my sweetheart Brinley.


October 24, 1922 - February 16, 2012

5 comments:

  1. Every picture of him shows a man full of love. I'm sorry to hear about his passing but it seems he has left a great legacy for you guys to follow in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet post! i love all the pictures...even though seeing baby brinley makes me sad. that was when we were still only a small driving distance apart!! it's tough losing a loved one, but thank goodness for the gospel!! (i loved the part about whipping your future children into shape! :) LOVE the name elsie...and fenton is an awesome name too! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute! And I loved seeing Brinley so little again. Fenton is a COOL name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Megan! My Dad, James is Fentons little brother. thank you so much for the pictures and sweet words. I will see you on Wed.

    ReplyDelete