Monday, January 28, 2013

WO: 2 months recap

My weekly working out posts have definitely settled down. and I don't think you're really interested in a weekly update anyways...But the past few weeks have been full of sporadic work outs that I don't think a whole post is necessary.

I have averaged 2-3 days a week at the gym and it definitely varies on time, and day. I wish I had a consistent time everyday to run.

The idea of working out before Ryan leaves for school/work (he leaves at 7:15am) kind of paralyzes me. Yes, Ellie sleeps 6-7 hours at a time. But, that means she wakes up sometimes at 3am. and then some nights she doesn't sleep the 6-7 hour stretch and she, and I are up every 3 hours. And some days, Brinley wakes up because of growing pains. You catch my drift. AM work outs don't work for me. Most days, Ryan doesn't get home until 5:30pm. add dinner and bedtime, and we don't stop moving until 8pm. Motivation after all that is always absent and I'd rather lounge on the couch while Ryan studies besides me.

I haven't lost any weight since my first weigh-in, but I think my stomach (ahem, pooch) has gone down. I am still having the post-baby body issues, and who knows if that ever goes away, but it is hard. It is soooo hard. My baby weight with Brinley fell off by this point and I was back in my pre-pregnancy jeans and feeling really good about myself. Now, I almost cried when I had to buy new jeans to fit my body right now. Cried because I buttoned some jeans without a fight. And also cried because I have a long way to go.

As long as I am nursing, the weight isn't going anywhere. I have the appetite of a 17-yr-old boy. I could eat all. the. time. I am hungry all. the. time. It gets annoying sometimes. Granted, it is pretty awesome that I still basically get to eat whatever I want and don't gain anything, but still...the whole feeling of dieting, working out, and seeing results is so gratifying. But so is seeing the chub on Ellie's arms and legs. Knowing that my mama milk is doing what it is supposed to is a great feeling.

first time getting to 3 miles!

ran a 5k!

sporting my new Nike tights

Ryan really pushes me to get over to the gym and I am so grateful for that. I dash out of the door the moment he comes home and when Ellie has been fed. Someone is usually crying when I leave, but Ryan gives me the reassuring look that tells me "I've got this, go run." Almost every time I am 5 minutes to go in my run, I get a text, "she's losing it" or "are you almost done?" Now I expect those texts, so I try and run faster to get to 3 miles. I am so appreciative of those moments when I can work out, alone, and have time to think. Sweating feels so good! Who knows if I am building any endurance because my work outs are so random, but it sure feels good to get out of the house and burn some cals. Only to then stuff my face the moment I get home to replenish them! 

I know my goals of losing 20 lbs by May was lofty. I realize that now after finding out how hard it is of a Mom of 2 to get to the gym everyday. Losing weight means cutting calories, and I just can't do that right now as long as I'm nursing. My biggest goal is to feel good about myself right now in this awkward saggy belly body. That is an everyday struggle. I feel like the skin above my c-section incision is dead. Maybe it is the nerves that were damaged, but who knows if that skin will ever tighten up. 

Thanks for all the motivation! It is amazing how good it feels to have my cheerleaders scattered across the country rooting me on every step of the way. I am going to try and post a monthly update since my weekly updates are full of randomness and excuses why I didn't work out. 

7 comments:

  1. The fact that you even go out and exercise means you are beating me three times a week! So i really admire you for even finding the energy to do it! i'm still struggling to find the motiviation!
    I have told myself that i am not going to push myself to exercise until Regan is done nursing. I've had a few friends who tried loosing weight and ended up having to stop nursing bc their milk becomes so thin.
    Have you ever read Eat Love Pray? Quoting from that book " just buy new pants!" You are amazing and dont' let your pants define you. They don't deserve to have that control over you.
    I don't know if that helps but just know you have one friend across the country whose butt is saggin and i'm just not going to care about it for 6 more months :)
    You're a huge motivation to me and not bc you work out but because you are such a realistic, positive, optimistic influence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're doing great! I couldn't loose anything while nursing Mason either and I felt starving all the time too! No one told me about that! lol But don't worry, you're training your body and I'm sure it will remember how to go back to "normal" once you're done taking care of Ellie. I swear with me ever since I've had a baby my body doesn't respond the same to anything! Working out, dieting, eating everything is different. But the tradeoff is totally worth it :) Keep up the good work! You're motivation to me to run more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep it up girl! i'm proud of you. you've always had a great drive and sense of discipline. you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the time and situation you're in, you're doing an amazing job! Even though you can only make it out 2-3 times a week that's better than nothing plus it makes you feel good about yourself after, even if the results that you want aren't immedate. But they'll come! You did just have Ellie a few months ago; May is totally not lofty, it's still three months away! Plus I bet you look super hot in those new nike pants. =)

    ALSO, running on the beach is AWESOME. So, be excited that in a few months you'll have the chance to do that when you and the family go to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, girl, go!! So proud of you. It's hard to transition to two kids, and with Ryan in his last semester of school... Seriously, you're doing it. Be proud!! May is a ways away, still. Your body is hanging on stubbornly to that cushion, but it will keep adjusting (and that darn numb incision skin will finally start to reconnect those nerves- aren't our bodies AMAZING!?) and you WILL get there! I'm rooting for you from this coast, and can't wait to join the fight to get back to the gym when baby #3 makes his grand entrance! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you girl. You really do look so good. Give yourself time, you'll get your bod back (well, most of it!) even if some parts are...uh...different. ;) I had Ethan in my belly and it eventually went down, so there is hope for EVERYONE.

    I really enjoyed reading this post, it was a refreshingly real, positive yet realistic, and hopeful approach to life fitness. You're doing what you can, you eat well, you workout when possible, your perspective is healthy...man, I'm ubes proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such an inspiration! I haven't worked out since Christmas. I miss it!!

    ReplyDelete