Wednesday, March 20, 2013

WO: Progress and a few setbacks

This past month has been weird. I haven't been motivated to work out at all. The low self esteem from my post-baby body has crept in, and I don't like it. I have felt so crummy. Sure, I look a whole lot better than being 9 months pregnant, I'll give myself that, but dang, keeping Ellie fed is taking a lot of sacrifice.

First, progress. I think I have lost 2 pounds. When I have an empty bladder and have just fed Ellie, I weigh 147 lbs. But on a regular day, I still fluctuate around 150. Who knows. So I guess seeing the scale dip into the 140's is motivating! 

Enter: Jillian.

I love Biggest Loser. I was an avid watcher in the early seasons. As I was eating my bowl of ice cream while watching episodes, she really resonated with me. She felt so genuine. She is intense. and she also reminds me of my own sister Jillian. Equally fit. Equally scary when they are trainers. I borrowed the 30 Day Shred from a friend just to try. So far, it has proved to be the best mama work out. It is 30 minutes start to finish. Yes, please! I've only had it for a few weeks, and I have been working out 3 days a week with it now. During naps or at night while Ryan is studying. I love mutting the tv and jamming to my iPod tunes.

And, the setbacks. 

It is hard though. The whole working out and seeing no results, thing. And the promise of no results until I can really diet and cut calories. It is hard to find the time. Working out during nap time doesn't always work because Brinley will be asleep, and Ellie will be fighting naps the entire time. Missed opportunity. Or after bedtime. Ellie sometimes goes to bed by 8pm, but may be up 2-3 more times before she is OUT for the night.

Trust me, seeing this naked girl does make me happy.

My mama milk is doing wonders for this squish. Her baby rolls are so amazing and I am so proud of that. I did that! As rewarding as it is to see my hard work in true life form, it doesn't completely remove my insecurities about myself. 

Nursing is a constant job and it is hard work. Yes, it has gotten easier. But I still eat and drink all the time and worry about my milk supply every moment of the day. This is the age where Brinley started to tapper off, and I am so scared it is going to happen again. We stopped rice cereal after only 2 days because we felt Ellie wasn't totally ready. She obviously doesn't need anything more than breast milk. and she is sleeping great at night. We are going to reintroduce solids at 6 months.

I have a limited wardrobe right now and it is frustrating. I purged a bunch of old clothes last month and while it felt good, it was also discouraging because I probably would never be able to fit back into some of those clothes. After babies, your body changes. Hips widen. Boobs are big. Booty is bigger. Everything changes. After Brinley, I was a bit rolly in my middle section, but I was back in my pre-pregnancy jeans by this point. I know I shouldn't compare, but it sucks. It sucks. Being 15 pounds over weight for me is so discouraging. However, I have found a pair of jeans that work and my everyday Mom tee. Most days, in my mom-iform, I feel pretty good about myself. 

Right now I am in a huge body image rut and I hate it. I just want to sit down and cry when I get out of the shower and see what having 2 kids has done for my poor body. Will it ever be the same? Sadly, no. My skin has been stretched to carry two big babies and I just don't see that changing with just diet and exercise alone. My stomach skin is still so sensitive from being numb. It hurts sometimes when I exercise and when I wear jeans. I have been told that skin may never be back to normal, or ever regain feeling back.

SO, again, I am recommitting myself. It is a constant battle for me. I have so many ups and downs about body imagine. One day, I feel good. I feel thin. I feel powerful! other days, I can barely look at myself in the mirror let alone work out. BLAH. I hate the post baby mind sometimes. It sure can play tricks on you.

Thanks for letting me vent. 

18 comments:

  1. Meagan-I love your honesty! You have every right to feel these feelings and with time you will find your stride. Although we are an hr away from each other, my sis Veronica and I are always helping each other with encouraging texts, fun workouts, delish recipes and exciting playlist to keep each other excited about being healthy!! We should exchange numbers and do the same with you. As soon as you find something that works you will be rocking your skinny jeans again soon! Have faith and keep your head up! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You girls are awesome! I hope to see you both this summer at Trisha's wedding in NC!

      Delete
  2. I am right there with you Megs! After having Nigel I was back to my old body in no time but with Sienna I still have the baby weight and it is not going away. She still nurses like crazy and therefore I hold on to more weight. I get very frustrated with my body but then I look at my baby girl and realize that it is all worth it. Enjoy this time with your baby and with nursing because before you know it she will grow up. With all the frustrations I enjoy this bonding time the most:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. The bonding nursing moments with Ellie far outweigh my insecurities. Besides, I think her and Brinley prefer my body to be soft and squishy anyways :-)

      Delete
  3. Girl, you looked amazing at Amy's baby shower!!! Those jeans were smoking (where are they from by the way?) and I thought to myself that you had like no tummy pudge. Less than me and I wear spankx like 24-7. So wish I had your post-baby body woes.
    And remember, it could be worse. We could have to walk around naked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, you're crazy, you look amazing! And yes, thank goodness we aren't walking around naked! The jeans I like are from old navy, the "diva" jeans. Fit pretty good with lots of stretch.

      Delete
  4. Just keep it up! Keep working out even if you don't see results. You're still burning calories no matter what. I know you're probably like "whatever Kendal you don't know how I feel" and you're half right. haha. I lost about 20-30 lbs. since high school and I had body image problems then and I still do now but I have to tell myself "you know what I'm greateful that I'm not sick, I'm happy, and doing just fine." Plus you really do look great, seriously you do. We can't keep comparing ourselves to others. Plus all those skinny mini girls don't have two beautiful daughters to show off! So what, your body is a little out of wack but you're still beautiful inside and out and I hope you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it make you feel better that you are normal?
    I am almost 3 years after Courtney and I am trying to find that balance and good weight. It is really hard to get it off now. 3 kids was and is really hard for me and weight. And I never lose weight when I am nursing. Blah. When kids are little and young, finding the time to work out seem impoossible. I hate it. Trying to squeeze it into nap time when there are a million other think you should be doing instead.
    Hang in there. You are beautiful and are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your mind couldn't be in a better place. You want to make sure Ellie is taken care of. You are honestly trying to get in shape. That is more than most mothers of a baby only a few months old are thinking. Heck, I don't remember working out until Greta was nearly a year old and I am still....soft in the middle. When I come, let's do this Jillian Micheals thing together. She scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i gained a lot of weight after having my babies too. I was only 3 months UN-pregnant when I found out I was carrying Eli, and Zayda's weight hadn't even begun to come off yet. Although I am only 2 sized different than before my pregnancies, I have never in my life weighed this much. I always saw people with "extra" and thought, "that will never be me!" Then I had children and reality set in. I am just not one of those women that sheds the weight right after the pregnancies. I think you are doing great and seem to be way more motivated than me. I am always completely wiped out at the end of the evening. But honestly, we could all tell you how beautiful (and you are!) you are until we are blue in the face, but until you believe how wonderful, unique, special and gorgeous you are for your self, I think this will just continue to be an issue for you. That's how it is for me anyway. I have learned to develop and turn my self esteem more inward though, thus causing me see myself in a new light! You are honoring motherhood and right now what could be better than that?! Also, as your little ones grow, you will be the one that provides that first example of how to define their own self worth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just tell myself that right now I am in the baby/small child stage, and just don't have as much time for my body as I'd like. Still squeeze in those workouts when you can, but don't get too discouraged when you can't. One day they won't be babies anymore and you'll have all the time in the world to workout whenever you want. :)
    Also, just cover up the mirrors. Then you won't have to look at your body in the mirror anymore. :)
    Hang in there, it will get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to give you a big hug after reading this. You look amazing. I know it's hard to see it, because hello, it's yourself. We're always so hard on ourselves. I still feel frumpy some days, then feel dang awesome on others. Those post-baby mind games don't ever seem to end.
    You are doing fantastic. Don't be so hard on yourself and take your time. I'm still soft in the middle, and Noah is THREE. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally think my wife is hot always. Just wanted to put that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meags, you'll pull through. I'm sorry sorry you are in such a discouraging rut! It'll change girl! Give it time. Ah, time. Hate that, but it's so true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hang in there!! you're on the road to success i know it. i don't even have kids and get frustrated with my body. we all fight the rut!

    i gotta try this jillian work out!

    ReplyDelete