Last week, I made the attempt to teach Brinley about the 4 seasons. It's hard to teach about a season when we really only experience 3 seasons throughout the year, spring, HOT summer, and LESS hot summer. Brinley coorelates winter with snow because of the few times it has snowed in Charlotte while we've been there. She hates that it will never snow where we live. Me, I don't need snow. Only if I'm in a nice warm cabin, sipping on salted caramel hot chocolate, and watching Little Women, or reading a good book like Anne of Green Gables.
I went to my trusty website that has changed my pre-k teaching direction and found the best printables. (seriously, if you're not a member now, you need to join asap. I used this code to save $10 off my year membership for unlimited printables and so I only paid $37! For everything unlimited!! I'm not a spokesperson for education.com but seriously...join now. It will change your life).
It didn't matter the amount of times I repeated the spring, summer, fall, winter Brinley just had a really hard time remembering them. Maybe I already did too much and she was out of her remembering juice, I have no idea. But seriously I would say "This is Spring. The Easter bunny brings you your basket during Spring." and then 1 second after "and what season is this?" pointing to Spring, and Brinley could not say it back! It just didn't stick. So for the rest of the week, we focused on the seasons.
The next day, we went for an adventure walk (and scootered around) to find some leaves that had fallen down on the ground. She liked that part.
Then, I drew an L on a piece of construction paper and had her paste the leaves along the L. So it was a triple learning session. Letters, writing, and crafting.
Kids are so funny. The idea of doing school is so fun and Brinley loves to pretend playing school, but when it comes down to it, it is SO MUCH WORK just to keep her focused and entertained. Education.com has really helped me stay one step ahead of Brinley. I have printables coming out my ears and the resources are amazing. I'm currently saving toilet paper rolls for a future project!
and one down on our list!
Our October Festivities List
- decorate for Halloween
- buy a new fall scented candle
- bake pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
- bake and decorate Halloween sugar cookies
- go to a pumpkin patch (hayrides, corn maze, pick out pumpkins)
- carve pumpkins
- send Halloween cards and stickers to cousins
- Ellie's birthday (cupcakes and decorations)
- Brinley's birthday (cake and decorations)
- Trick or Treating




It is great that you are giving her a jump start on preschool! Just a heads up that I didn't know- I taught Kiley to write her name in all capital letters and her teacher said that is not good because they have to re-teach them to write it with one capital and the rest lower case and the kids get confused. So, start teaching her the right way to write her name and then her teacher won't be mad at you! Haha! Now that I know, I will teach Bryn to write her name that way when it is her turn. Also, get started on scissor skills because they do alot of that and Kiley is struggling with it. I never knew we had to work on so much at home for preschool!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice! I did get some age 3 scissors and they are HARD TO USE! Brinley hate them. I need to just get those little scissors with colored handles that actually CUT.
DeleteThe ones that they use at school are the fiskars. I was so nervous to actually get real scissors, but we just practice while Bryn is napping and I can keep both eyes on her!
DeleteThis is so awesome!!! I think I might get a membership for the days Greta doesn't have preschool. I like to do SOME sort of learning activity every day and I am always stumped. Love the leaves and Brinley's blue shoes! Those are so cool.
ReplyDeleteI found those shoes at Target a few weeks ago on sale for under $4. Score! Perfect fall/winter shoes for Brinley. AND they are velcro. Win-Win!
DeleteI think that is great! It sounds like a wonderful website. Your girls are so cute and growing up! Glad you guys are doing good. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun activity! I love seeing all of the pictures lined up together; Max would love something like that! Did you know about education.com before I told you about it? We are on that site at least once a day!! Max is obsessed.
ReplyDeleteI'd love another post describing what type of activities you do, what age you started, and any other "structured learning" things you've done. Jude isn't even a year, but I love having ideas (and advice) to remember when the time comes.
ReplyDelete