Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

What a wonderful day! Last year, we moved over Mother's Day weekend so I was ready to be spoiled this year :-) Ryan definitely over did himself, as always. We actually woke up before the girls were up, so he was already making breakfast for the two of us. When Brinley came out of her bedroom, she kept saying "Mom! Get back in bed! We are bringing you breakfast in bed!" So she took my hand, and basically forced me back in bed. I ate a few bites, but realized it isn't that much fun eating breakfast in bed alone! I came back out and we all enjoyed our breakfasts together.
Church was wonderful. It was nice to get dressed up after a hard week of crabby kids. Earlier this week, Ellie had to get stitches. She fell in the bathtub and her tooth went straight through her bottom lip and ended up getting 2 stitches. And then the next morning, she woke up with a 102 degree fever that didn't go away until 30 hours later. On top of that, Brinley developed a nasty cold and has been sneezy and coughy all week. Phew--I was ready for some quiet time that my Church hours give me! For the 3rd hour of Church, the Bishopric and Elder's Quorum prepared a wonderful display of fruit and treats for us to just be together and eat and mingle. It was fabulous. They even had a chocolate fountain! I enjoyed some fresh fruit with water and great conversation.
After church, the girls both took a nap and naturally, Ryan and I passed out on the couch. It was heavenly. Napping without interruption from kids was exactly what I wanted on Mother's Day. We had a wonderful dinner, prepared by Ryan. Steak, grilled asparagus, and bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. So filling and delicious.
I wanted to include these pictures of my mother and her mother, and me and my mother. My Oma has been gone for 12 years now, and as hard as it was on me when she passed, I miss her so much now that I am a mother. I wish I could ask her advice and how she raised her kids and what my mother was like a toddler. It's funny how we can relate to each other just by our simple experiences as a mother. It is hard to recognize a woman's strength when you're a selfish stupid teenager, and I wish I told her how much I loved her when she was alive. I named Brinley after her so I could remember her everyday and have her legacy move forward.
And my own mother. When I was younger, again, a selfish stupid teenager, I thought we were nothing alike. But now--I see that we are very much alike and similar in so many different ways. I look up to her for everything. I call her for the simplest thing and she almost always knows the answer, what to do, and how to make it. I am grateful for her strong example and the woman that she is. She is the best grandma to my girls and they love her dearly for her playful spirit and loving heart. 
I hope everyone had a wonderful day feeling loved and special. I have so many wonderful examples of womanhood and motherhood from the old Grandma's in my ward, to my friends being young moms themselves, and the experienced mamas with busy schedules and a houseful of kids. I love you all! 

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic mother's day! I love that they left you alone to eat breakfast in bed. haha--a nice thought, but it would def. be lonely. The picture of you and the girls is so fabulous--such a good looking family!

    P.S. Your whole 30 posts are so inspiring! I can't wait to see what you think at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is fabulous! I want it! Your girlies are so cute. I think Ellie is looking more like Brinley every day. Love them!

    ReplyDelete