Thursday, May 7, 2015

Owen at 2 Weeks

Owen, aka puppy, baby deer, skinny leggies.

When we got home from the hospital, I was pretty much still bed bound in our bedroom. I was shocked how good I was feeling, all things considered. My c-section recovery will be in a different post :-) Thankfully, my mom was still with us for another week to help ease me into being a mom of 3 and helping take care of all of us. The girls had so much fun with Grandma. My favorite story from my mom was when we were still in the hospital, and she went to get Ellie after a nap, and Ellie looked up at her and said, "Oh, it's you." haha We had a good laugh. Ellie is such a funny girl.


Life with a newborn is kind of a roller coaster. The first two nights we were home, Owen only woke up once. We were tooootally spoiled. Now that he is spending more time awake, he is on a pretty consistent 2 hour nursing schedule and sleeping 2-3 hour stretches at night. His biggest hurdle is the grunting. Hours of grunting at night sometimes! But then when his diaper blows, he sleeps like a champ. Nursing has been going great, and my milk has really regulated with little to no engorgement. Thank goodness! 

We are all pretty infatuated by little Owen. The girls are doing better every day to be careful around him and use their quiet voices when he's trying to sleep (especially if he hasn't taken a nap all morning!). Brinley loves to help and loves to hold him. She is my little shadow when I'm nursing Owen, or changing his diaper, or just holding. I've caught her, and Ellie, a few times pretend to nurse their baby dolls too and it is really funny/cute to see. 



My mom was such a huge help. I really can't put into words how amazing it was for her to be here again to welcome another one of our babies. She has such a calming spirit about her. She really helped me mellow out, especially when all I wanted to do was yell or cry or lock myself in our bedroom and never come out. It is extremely challenging to take care of all these little people, while still recovering yourself from major surgery, so having her here for that additional week was so important! She kept commenting on how relaxed I was being, even when it was complete chaos. Now that she's gone, I've felt myself get pretty tense throughout the day. Ellie makes it challenging because of how spazzy she can be around Owen, and Brinley makes it challenging with her constant questions and "mom, play with me now" demands. They are both doing better this week at realizing that Mom can't be there all the time to play with you every second.
Mister Owen has such a sweet spirit about him. He is very calm and peaceful. Rarely cries. Sometimes puts himself to sleep for naps when I put him in his bed. Loves to nurse. Loves watching and being around his sisters. Loves to wiggle out of his swaddles. and I can only guess, but loves being apart of our wild family :-)

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post! You are hitting this mother of 3 thing out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, "baby deer" is so cute!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete