This post is for all you ladies out there.
Since all of us are mothers or future mothers (I don't think men read my blog...), we can appreciate a little pick-me-up every once in awhile.
My brother, Jared is serving his mission in Arcadia California. He emailed me this morning. He always says super funny things and pumps me up to be better. I found it interesting that this email was especially for me, even though his emails are for all of us. He told me of this one General Conference talk from Elder Holland in 1997. Now, if you knew Jared before his mission (Jane and Kristine), Jared was not the "Did you hear that talk at General Conference about blah blah?" type. Am I right? The mission has completely transformed him into a very confident man. And I trust him. He said that I needed to read this talk. So I did.
That talk was exactly what I needed to hear. How did he know!? It is so easy (at least for me) to feel overwhelmed and inadequate. I know that I'll never be a perfect mother, but this talk helped me realize that I don't have to be.
There are days where everything is perfect:
-Brin sleeps 9 straight hours at night.
-She eats like a champ.
-I remember to eat.
-Brin takes great naps.
-I shower, put on makeup and do my hair! In an hour!
-I spend time with Ryan without the TV or laptop on. Quality time involves conversation and completely attentiveness to each other.
-I am able to get ALL my homework done. And maybe even homework for later in the week, too!
-I'm not lonely at night.
-I pump 6 oz for school the next day. (Or 10 oz for tues/thurs classes)
-I get laundry done, folded and put away! What a concept!
-Dishes done. Apartment cleaned!
...you get the idea.
Unfortunately, this doesn't happen everyday. It rarely does.
All of a sudden, Brinley has decided to wake up 4-5 a night for the past 2 weeks. This means, I am only getting 2-3 hours of sleep at night. You can't be a full-time mommy, full-time wifey, and full-time student on 3 hours of sleep. I have been feeling pretty run down and overwhelmed. I have tried the sleep tricks, trust me. She was sleeping great before, but maybe with the combo of teething and maybe being hungry, she gets up wayyyy too much.
Am I making any sense?
I know I shouldn't feel like I am the only run-down mother because I know we all have days like this (or weeks!). I try my very best to always be on my A-game. Like most Mom's, I love to look in control. Like everything is great. That I'm that happiest Mommy in the world. But when I have 3 hours of sleep under my belt, I smell like sour milk 24-7, and I haven't put on makeup or have felt like a WOMAN for a week, you get tired of that facade. And you know what? It is okay to cry. I love to have a good cry.
But what I learned most from this talk was that:
"When you have come to the Lord in meekness and lowliness of heart and, as one mother said, "pounded on the doors of heaven to ask for, to plead for, to demand guidance and wisdom and help for this wondrous task," that door is thrown open to provide you the influence and the help of all eternity. Claim the promises of the Savior of the world. Ask for the healing balm of the Atonement for whatever may be troubling you or your children. Know that in faith things will be made right in spite of you, or more correctly, because of you."
PHEW!
In midst of the chaos, there is hope. There is hope because of our Savior. The Atonement is perfect. I never realized that the power of the Atonement helps the stressed, the tired, the overwhelmed, and the I-Can't-Do-This-Another-Day Meagan, too. Thank goodness. I know I am new at this Mommy thing, but I hope that I can remember this counsel when I feel overwhelmed again. We are encouraged to Pound on the Doors of Heaven.
I am pounding tonight.
He is there to help us.
Every.Step.Of.The.Way.
Thank you for this! i needed to hear this too!
ReplyDeleteand Go jared. such a stud!
What an inspirational message to all of us mommies out here! Its great to remember that the atonement covers SO SO much! I love all your comments on my blog! Things are getting so much easier with miley, I think she was sort of going through a growth spurt the last 2 days, she has already calmed back down which is a relief, I was afraid she was going to be colicky! I am feeling SO much better... still hating going to the bathroom and nursing but its getting better! I think my body is finally figuring out how much milk to make, not going overboard anymore, YAY! :) Thanks for the support!
ReplyDeletedefinitely got some goosebumps right now. wow. you are awesome!!!!!!!! seriously, meagan. i. LOVE. you. thanks for the encouragement...i think more girls need that advice than you think.
ReplyDeletep.s. guess who is coming into town friday??
yeah. i'll call tomorrow.
xoxo.
oh, and your bro is totally rockin' that mission thing! how sweet.
all i am going to say is this is exactly what i needed. from the bottom of my heart i thank you! you are an amazing mom/woman!
ReplyDeletewhat an amazing talk! thanks for sharing that- really.
ReplyDeleteone that helped me was sheri dew's talk, "are we not all mothers?" (in case you want to read it) :) also read "i am a mother". that book totally helped me know that we are not alone- all mothers struggle at one point or another (even the put together ones) and the Savior is always helping us.
Meagan thank you. i like to think i have a pretty dang good baby. today josie decided to eat like every 2 hours to 1 1/2 hours today, which can make the nipples sore if you know what i mean.... but just now i fed, changed a diaper, did everything to comfort josie and cory left to go do splits with the elder and i was all by myself with a crying baby to comfort all by myself. i didn't know what to do, so i wrapped her in a blanket and patted her back, and thought to pull up my blog.. your blog was the first on my blog list so i decided to read it.. and let me tell you i needed to hear that. i cried reading your blog. because we do forget that we aren't alone at this being new moms thing. so thank you for sharing what your brother asked you to read, and for being such a great example. oh and josie finally calmed down and is sleeping!
ReplyDeletewhat a seriously beautiful post, I need to read that talk again, it's been awhile. You truly are a fantastic mother, good and bad days considered!
ReplyDeleteLOL heidi...that reminded me of that look that brother d'evegnee would always give her like "...huh. ok. um..any other comments?" hahahaha
ReplyDeletei'll have to try the positive self talk! my new mantra: "I WILL NOT TURN RED PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T TURN RED" lol
I love love love that talk! Thanks for the reminder! : )
ReplyDeleteI love this talk. Thank you, thank you for sharing some of your struggles. Being a mother can be a lot of work!
ReplyDelete