The idea just came to me when after a few weeks debating if Ryan and I actually liked a certain shirt of his. Navy gingham. Come ON! Gorgeous. For some reason, it just didn't fit right. Actually, I know why, but he made me promise that I wouldn't reveal it on the blog. Ooookay :-)
So, I had an old shirt of Brinley's that fit her up top, but shrunk and was just too tight on her chubby belly. I should have gotten a 18 month size but I was desperate, and honestly, I don't think I had enough fabric from the shirt to make a dress any bigger.
Here's the shirt. From Target.
Here is "the questionable shirt." It is a cotton flannel. Surprisingly really easy to sew with. I thought it would stretch like jersey, but it was great! ahhh I thought about tailoring it down to fit me, but honestly, I could not get the idea out of my head of cute Miss B wearing a navy gingham dress. To DIE FOR!!!!
I cut the shirt APART. Tried to salvage as much from the biggest parts as possible. I actually needed more fabric than I anticipated so I am grateful I just didn't go ca-razy with the scissors. I measured as I went and made sure the pieces were lined up (almost perfectly). I had a larger piece from the center of the shirt, and then two on each side that were probably...7 inches wide from the shirt front panels. I sewed both sides to the middle. Cut it down into a rectangle. Maybe about 15 inches long, I don't know...30 inches long? I didn't record the measurements, sorry!
I have NO idea how I did it, but I set my machine to what I thought was just a gathering or to lengthen the stitch, thinking I was going to have to pull my thread to gather it. ANd LOW and BEHOLD...It gathered it for me!!!!!!!!!! I was freaking out. I had no idea what I was doing to get this beauty so perfectly!
So I took a pic of the stitch info. 8 on the round turn-y guy on top, and my stitch length 5.0. I usually set mine at 3 and 2.5.
I sewed the raw edges together to finish the skirt portion.
Here is the skirt portion.
I cut, maybe 3-4 inches from the bottom. Just where I thought it should be.
Turn the shirt INSIDE out and the skirt RIGHT side out, and pin the shirt to the top part of the skirt,
Sew it together, and pull out the gathering stitches. Seriously, SO easy as to what I thought when I started this process.
I made a double hem. Iron 1/4 inch down, then fold over again and pin, and stitch!!!
Final product! It is SO cute. I am debating whether to do something with the navy buttons that came with the shirt. I probably won't do anything unless you lovely ladies inspire me!!
And....Miss B in her new summer dress!!!
Wow! That is SUCH a good idea. You are a genius! When you first told me about this, in my mind I was picturing you taking in Ryan's shirt until it was Brinley's size--like a little shirt dress. Hahaha! I was so confused. But THIS is something I think I may be able to pull off. She's so sweet.
ReplyDeleteWell Done!! I'm starting some sewing projects of my own and I must say you inspire me! ha ha. I'm not a very good at it yet but it's getting better. Love the dress! Brin is SOOOO cute!
ReplyDeleteAdorable! Looks so comfortable. Make on in my size?
ReplyDeletepure awesomeness. as ADORABLE as it is, navy buttons on the white shirt would be something cute too. brad has some clothes that he doesn't wear/doesn't want and i am trying to figure out what to do with them for repurposing. why waste good clothes!
ReplyDeletego gurrrl! that is the cutest! very impressed!
ReplyDeleteSo very cute, good job!! I like the little flower embellishments you see now a days on the clothes...but it is adorable as is!!
ReplyDeletehoooow adorable!!!!!!!! i love it!
ReplyDeleteyou're such a good mom, i would have altered that thing for myself! ha
you could sew a couple of the buttons on the side of her collar (maybe in a line in the direction of her chin to her armpit)
That is just darling! Thanks for the simple tutorial!
ReplyDeleteBrandy
Gluesticks
www.brandyscrafts.blogspot.com
I wish I was this talented. I got a sewing machine for Christmas and and am finally learning how to do something I have always wanted to. this is inspiring though!!
ReplyDelete