It was stressful getting everything ready to leave on Friday afternoon, but it was SO WORTH IT. Ryan has never really seen me get "beach crazy" and excited about the sand. Growing up in San Diego, CA we always went to the beach and lakes are fun, but they just aren't the same! Having the sand between your toes and the gorgeous scenery...O YA BABY!
Our great friends Dustin and Jessica are moving into their grandmothers house on the beach, and they invited us just for an overnight and day trip. It was fabulous. Brinley did not sleep well at all and woke up multiple times wide awake ready to play. She was so ready to play. Poor girl! Ryan and I feel like train wrecks now, but we did pretty good staying energized with as little sleep we got. We had a fabulous french toast breakfast and decided to get going with the day. We got to the beach by 9am and stayed until 11am. The kids were getting cranky so we decided to pack up and go to lunch to get something to eat.
Then, it happened. Brinley was walking with Ryan holding hands when he pulled her arm to turn when he felt a pop in her wrist. She was immediately upset and we knew something wasn't right. We decided to get our food to-go (genius idea, Jess!) and we met them at the house. We stopped by CVS to get Tylenol but Brinley was definitely in a LOT of discomfort and would FREAK every time we touched her left arm/wrist. I just didn't know how bad it was. She was tired, hungry, thirsty, on TOP of her hurt wrist. Saying she was a mess was an understatement!!!
She miraculously fell asleep for almost an hour while we drove home from the beach and decided to stay in the car to eat our lunch so we wouldn't have to move her. After she woke up, still upset and crying, we took her inside, packed up, and decided we needed to take her in.
It was almost worse than having her be sick. I had NO idea what was causing her SO much pain! I asked Ryan if he and Dustin could give her a blessing before we left. It was such a beautiful moment and I kept telling Brinley that blessings help heal and bless babies like her (and everyone else too) who are hurt or sick. She calmed down almost immediately after the blessing. Oh the joy it is to have a worthy husband and worthy friend to give Brinley a much needed Priesthood Blessing. That brings me so much happiness in my life. I cannot imagine my life without it.
We went to the Medical Center and they immediately took us back. They said they never let Pediatric patients wait. WHAT!? Within an hour, we were seen, examined, x-rayed, consulted, given medicine, talked to by the doctor, and walked out with some information papers about her diagnosis. It was seriously unbelievable. The doctor said that her arm was called a Nursemaid Elbow. She said she sees MULTIPLE of these each day and it is super common for small kids. She popped her elbow back in place and we left. Brinley started lifting her arm a little bit after, but definitely protects it. If she wasn't right-hand dominant already, after this experience, she definitely will be!!
Brinley is still in pain and complains every time her arm is moved, BUT she will be fine. We bathed her when we got home and put her down around 6pm. She fell asleep quickly, but we are preparing ourselves for a long night. Hopefully not because I am EXHAUSTED!! Oh my, it was an eventful day. Thankfully, we were safe regardless and had SO MUCH FUN before our little ER trip. Ryan and I are BURNT on our backs and chests, but it feels so good to have some sun...let alone, sun in MARCH!!!! ahhh I love where I live.
Enjoy the Pictures!!!
Checking out the water
COME ON!!! Gorgeous, right?
Glad her suit from last year fits :-) Don't worry, I'm going to get her a modest one piece for the summer...
She was all about holding the sand and running into the water.
I tried to get a mommy/Brinley shot and she was NOT having it. Hence, the poor attempt.
Family pic :-)
My cute bffs
She was shivering after playing in the water the whole time. She loved it!!!
Glad we went and we can't wait to come visit LOOOOOTS this summer!!!
(only if you guys invite us again...promise, no ER trips next time!!)

ahh i am so jealous!! that looks BEAUTIFUL!! seriously, we need to come and visit.
ReplyDeletesorry to hear about little brinners though...no fun :(
she looks adorable in her teeny swimsuit though!
love you guys!!
That is EXACTLY what happened to Greta. Something just popped! Her Pediatrician was happy when I took her to see him because I really didn't think she dislocated her shoulder. She could lift her arm she just didn't like to unbend it. And he knew RIGHT away what it was. That's urgent care places for ya. In a couple days she was just fine. Oooooo it just breaks my heart that Brin is going through it now. :(
ReplyDeleteThat swimsuit is SO CUTE on her. And the hat. She is quite the little package. I am so jealous of your beach days (LOVE YOUR BUN!). I'd love some sun right now. I use Jergens Natural Glow lotion stuff everyday in the winter. I crave a little sun glow.
San Diego CA. miss that place sooo much!! love the pictures looks like fun!! same thing happened to Kelsea's arm and it hurt for a while sooo sad hope Brinley's arm gets better soon
ReplyDeleteI LOVE her swimsuit, so cute! Sad about her elbow. That happened to me and all my sibs too when we were little. Not fun!
ReplyDeleteoooooooooooooooh my...that beach looks soooooooo appetizing! i would much rather stare at WHITE beaches all day than WHITE snow. i'm just drowning in jealousy over here.
ReplyDeletelil' brinners, having to go to the er! what is up with this weekend? er visits, my boy with stitches? i wonder if anyone else has had a rough 'parent' weekend.
i know it's going to toughen us up for further incidents down the road, but i'm just not ready for those yet! my heart can't handle it!
love ya meags!
So I tried to right click the link to nursemaid elbow because I usually open links in another tab so I don't have to navigate from the post and therefore continue reading before looking at the link and I got your little "glad you like the picture but no stealing" message hahaha. I love it! I didn't even know you could do that!
ReplyDelete