Monday, December 9, 2013

Our First Tree 2013


Deciding on getting a real tree was a no brainer for us. I always grew up with one (and sometimes two because my Mom always wanted a pretty tree and then we would have a kid tree full of handmade ornaments) but Ryan rarely had a real tree. Not saying the fake ones aren't as good (they definitely are more cost efficient in the long run), but they just don't say and smell like Christmas to me. The smell alone of having a real tree in our home is so magical. Brings back so many childhood memories. My heart is just bursting right now looking at our perfectly imperfect farm tree from North Carolina. Maybe someday we'll decided to have a back up fake tree, but for now, making memories with our girls and starting family traditions while they're young is just what we want. 

some of our decorations

I'm designated light girl.

Brinley had so much fun putting the ornaments on the tree.

oh Ellie. The novelty of the tree has definitely worn off so she isn't walking straight into the tree anymore :-)

topping the tree with our star // our tree ornament! we love it. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree, we'll always have a real tree. I just can't go artificial.. just can't do it. PS: Your advent calendar is exactly the same as the one we had growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome! My mom made it when my dad was in graduate school and last year she passed it down to me and I'm not kidding, I was so emotional (and still am!) that my kids will be doing this for the next 20 yrs!!

      Delete
  2. Yay for real trees!! We're in the same boat as you and Ry. Brad always had a fake tree, since it was more cost efficient. They STILL have that thing, and it looks more like a bush now. Seriously, it's so sad. My parents always had real trees, and a few times we went to the mountains for them. I need to smell pine or it's just not Christmas-y to me. We do have a little fake one for Noah's room though. :)

    Oh, and I'm the designated light girl (and pretty much everything else girl) too. haha

    ReplyDelete