Sunday, July 18, 2010

Phew...

I felt like I should share this. Since, most of my friends who read my blog are mommies, soon-to-be mommies, or future mommies.

These past few months have been pretty rough with Brinley. With regards to nursing. Now, don't get me wrong, I was 100% faithful to nursing until she turned one. Almost to the point, that I didn't really know what to do if something...didn't go along my schedule and "idea" about nursing exclusively.

It happened right around the time we did our 4 day drive out to North Carolina. Brinley slowly lost interest on the drive because we were stopping and nursing in gas stations. I think she started to feel that nursing was a chore and not a "moment" to share with me.

Right when we got home, we flew to Houston. It was around 100 degrees the whoooole weekend and Brinley basically didn't nurse at all. I didn't stress out because I knew she was out of her element.

It got worse and worse nursing her. We finally go to the point of only nursing in the mornings. Brinley is the type of baby that is soooo easily distracted and if mama isn't producing at lightning speed, she is not interested. Well, we all know that if you're not nursing, you aren't producing as much. That is exactly what happened.

I didn't want to "voice" my concern because I didn't want to feel guilty. I had thoughts that I wasn't a good mom. I wasn't nursing my child. She is underweight. She isn't getting the nutrients that she needs. blah blah blah I never gave Brinley formula because she was a great nurser. We tried and tried and tried...to give her formula. Everyday. Multiple times a day. She would just give this "ooo I know what you're trying to do. I'm wayyyy smarter than you, Mom."

All of a sudden, she has taken to formula like its her crack. I can't even believe it. I never thought this was a miracle in the making, but it really is. Brinley has been drinking over 20 ounces everyday for the past week. I cannot believe it. She FREAKS when the bottle is empty. I am so happy that she is getting what she needs and is happy and healthy.

Okay. What is the point of this blog.

Well, I guess what I'm saying is, that I was actually pretty judgmental about women who gave their babies formula. And please don't get upset at me. I was a first time mom, who believed that nursing was the ONLY way to feed your baby blah blah blah. Ya, I was one of those. But after Brinley started to wean herself around 6-7 months, I started to think...ummm well I guess we need to do the next best thing. I am so frustrated that I was oblivious to formula and the benefits when Brinley was first born. I wish she was able to take a bottle when I was late home from class. It would have made my life a whole lot simpler instead of pumping 10 oz a day....me and my pump were bffs. I love nursing. But, I do believe in being human as well.

I am so grateful she has adapted herself to drinking formula. I loved nursing her for those 7 months and I know she loved it too. I am so happy that we made it as long as we did and for my next baby I'll do my best too!

What I'm saying to those other mommies (you know who you are). Don't feel guilty (like I did) for giving your baby formula if the nursing thing isn't working. Do Not Feel Guilty. If you are exclusively nursing, good for you. But when things don't go as planned, you need to work the system and keep your babe healthy.

(now maybe Brinley will move up on the growth charts! She is such a little girl!)

(and if I offended anyone, sorry!)

8 comments:

  1. Okay, I am feeling guilty too, but for the opposite reason. I have NEVER liked nursing. Is something wrong with me? I do it. Greta seems to love it. I have no problems producing, but I have never enjoyed it. I will do it as long as Greta wants because I love her, but I can't wait to be done. I know a lot of moms have there jaws open wide right now, but I am just being honest. It's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Meagan, I'm glad you are at peace with it. I only nursed Leah for 6 months and I was fine with that. Taking care of a baby is hard and you just have to do what works. Isn't it great now how you can really get a break and get away without having to pump or worry about two wet circles?!? It's nice to see how much they are really drinking too - it's so hard to know with nursing. Anyway, congrats on getting your body back - it's finally all yours again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think a lot of us know that way of thinking :) i was SO pro-nursing... too bad my body didn't follow my mind. by 3 mo., we had to start going every other feeding on formula because i just couldn't keep up with james and he was just so little. by 6 months, one day it was just GONE. it broke my heart, not going to lie. and james' too. but we did what was best for him and luckily he was already used to the bottle so there were only a few bad moments. but it is wonderful that there is formula out there for when things don't work out. so go you for giving it your all- with nursing and formula :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha was this post for me?sigh... dealing with this right now. I definitely know what you are saying. I have a sincere love/hate relationship with nursing. It sucks worrying night and day if your baby is getting enough and whether she is small because thats her genes or small because she's being starved.Nursing in the heat SUCKS. I totally know what you are saying about disinterest in the slow flow of milk... so frustrating that she won't latch on when I can tell there is still milk there. bleh. Loving solid food though its definitely helping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally know how you feel! I was the same as you because doctors are always saying that nursing is the best for your baby, so I felt like a horrible mom when I stopped nursing Kimball. It turns out she survived at 9 months drinking formula! I enjoyed nursing, but it was liberating to get Kimball on formula. I didn't have to worry about having to get home and feed her while I was out running errands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the brighter side of life. :) The side where you realize that not every baby is identical, not every mother is even ABLE to nurse, and babies aren't going to be slower/dumber/fatter/skinnier/less-of-a-human if they get formula.
    I was all about nursing at first, but you know my story. I was similar to your friend Amy. It made me feel AWFUL. I cried and cried, feeling SO guilty that I couldn't give Noah what he needed, afraid other moms would judge me, and afraid that Brad would think less of me. Such stupid crap we put ourselves (and eachother through). I'm definitely going to try nursing again with the next one, but if it doesn't work again... oh well.
    I'm so happy you're happy. And most importantly, Brinley's healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meagan, I forgot to mention that I was raised on formula. That should be enough evidence right there about how awesome it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only nursed Issac for 2 months. It was pure hell from the beginning. He had an awful time latching on and it hurt like you know what, the nurses kept sneaking him bottles and binkies with sugar drops at the hospital, then when we went through the temple it was a crazy weekend and my mom would never stop long enough to let me nurse him so bottles it was, plus pumping hurt like crazy too, and after that wekend i just dried up because he prefered the bottle to the boob. Some kids just dont take on to the boob and its not the mommies fault. and for the record, i never really enjoyed it either.

    ReplyDelete