Calling all mamas.
--
I need some help.
--
The looks I get at lunch and dinner time from Brinley, I'm guessing she is telling me this:
--
"I hate baby food and these sick puffs!? If you feed me one more I will throw a punch. Also, those really nasty cookies you feed me? Ya, I know they're saltines. And, I'm sick of them. I'm a big girl now. I need to eat big girl food."
--
Soooo, help a mama out?
What are some good "transitioning" foods? I need to be better and more creative, but I need YOUR help. Pass your Mama wisdom over.
Thanks!
-Meag
I know some of my "must haves" for Lotti are Nutrigrain bars, cheese strings, yogurt tubes, toast, bagels with cream cheese, pears, and of course mac n' cheese! Those have always kept her happy!
ReplyDeleteI remember thinking the same thing! James LOVED/LOVES graham crackers, yogurt, string cheese, chicken nuggets, pasta (spaghetti especially), fruit bars, and goldfish.
ReplyDeleteNoah loves those Annie's pasta shells (easy to pick up and yummy). He also eats the Annie's cheddar bunnies, honey graham bunnies (they're just so darn cute lol). He likes toast with a little jelly on it, eggs, bananas, lima beans (yep), and grapes (cut up of course). We also try to eat fish once a week, and he seems to like salmon (you can get it cheaper in the freezer section). I try to feed him as much "plain" and healthy stuff as I can, so that way he won't turn his nose up later. If you introduce a ton of sweets, they're naturally going to want that instead. Wouldn't you? ;)
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I know it's a pain. Noah has suddenly decided he's a vegetarian.
Gerber graduates has some good stuff, fruit flavored cereal bits and what not. Issac liked those, pasta (mac 'n cheese specifically) or dried fruit, fruit leathers. Gerber also has 'bitter biscuts' that help with teething; but they're really messy. Really at this age you can give her anything cut up to try out, just make sure its not choking sizes. Issac likes hot dogs too. I know, hot dogs?! choking hazard. But hello, 90% of kid food is the same size so I figured he could just as easily choke on hot dog as he could anything else, thats why you watch them! He also LOVED chips & salsa, spicier the better. Definitely his mama's boy.
ReplyDeleteHonestly she can eat the same stuff you and Ryan eat! I know its so weird, all of us that commented agree with you its a weird transition to go through til someone said that to me..
ReplyDeleteDinner: teriyaki chicken, rice, green beans.. cut up the chicken into small small chunks and the rest she should be good with. Just as an example. I always did bites the size of his.. top thumb knuckle maybe? then the bites get progressively bigger. The more flavor the better! salt n pepper, butter, cheese, ranch dressing you name it! flavor that food up! She will grow up eating flavorful food and if she doesnt start now she WILL become a picky eater I promise. Bragging time- ryan is the best eater, he wont turn his nose up at anything. even thai food. If you start her off always eating the same thing you guys eat there will never have to be a big switch to the family dinner food and she will grow up with that being the norm. I will warn you pasta can be tricky. Its really hard to break up small enough to swallow with just gums. some kids do fine, ry just swished it around then spit it out til he had molars.
We also gave him ONE kind of food at a time, starting with the *least* flavorful and working our way up. I guess like veggies then rice, then chicken? when he got too much on his tray he just made a mess and got overwhelmed.
try giving her the same stuff you eat tomorrow and let me know how it goes!! as you can tell I am eager to help. sorry this was a super long comment.. love you!
Quaker oatmeal was always a messy fave for Miles! Also, mashed potatoes, sliced toast, applesauce, or peas...
ReplyDeleteI say let her eat whatever you're eating (as long as it's not a death trap) and she'll love it!
so i'm not a mama, and i don't have any good advice, but i just wanna say you're blog is too cute!
ReplyDeleteI agree with the other mamas!Anything you guys eat that can be mashed up- she can eat too! I even put a casserole or two in the blender a few times to make it a little easier to spoon up. Also the sooner you start letting her try to feed herself with a spoon- the sooner she will be able to do it! I learned this with Chase- he just wanted a spoon because Joshua had one and he is a pro and has been from a very early age- made my job a lot easier- just make sure you have one or two of those pocket bibs on hand! I still can't believe she's getting so big so fast- I sure hope we are able to see you guys in the next year at least:P love you!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, welcome back! I was so excited when your blog popped up on my reader again (and I can't remember if I've already commented to say that or not...curse the mommy brain).
ReplyDeleteAlso, everybody probably already said it, but I just feed my kids whatever we are eating. I set aside veges or potatoes before they are seasoned, give her pancakes or oatmeal plain, etc. Anything that's not too spicy, salty, or sugary. It works for us, forces the whole family to eat healthier, and saves a TON of money!
(Oh, and if you buy oatmeal packets, get the maple and brown sugar ones because the brown sugar clumps together, so you can de-sugar it before you add the water.)