Wednesday, December 1, 2010

New Thing

I'm trying a new thing. SO just go with it, okaaay?

Since Ryan and I are back to what it seems "when we were dating and could only talk over the phone" right now, I thought...why not blog everyday and tell him what we did? He definitely loves to read what I blog about.

I'll tell you want happened yesterday.

We woke up at 4:30am to get my bags ready and the car packed to go to the airport. Somehow, I didn't end up putting my toothbrush in my toiletry bag which was RIGHT NEXT TO THE SINK and my toothbrush was laying RIGHT next to the bag. For the love. BUT I love my mama, she always has extras of everything. Bless.

Okay, back to what happened. We decided to leave to the airport at 5am which would mean, waking Brin up 2 seconds before. I gave her a nice sippy of milk and we greeted her with smiles. She woke up, we changed her bum, she drank her sippy, and walked straight out the door.

Let me just say. Traveling ALONE is never fun. BUT traveling with a child who is not so much a baby anymore and has her own personality is extra hard. The Tallahassee airport is itty bitty and probably only has 10 gates. Ryan walked us to the check point where we said our good-byes. I looked at him like, PLEASE come with us. And of course he gave me the puppy dog eyes that I love, and gave me a big kiss bye and gave Brinley smooches too. I watched him walk away and turn the corner.

So, with a 1 yr old in tow, a unbroller stroller, a carry on, AND my purse...I start stripping down at the security check. Thank goodness there was like 2 people in line behind me, but come on. Preeeetty sure they saw a bum crack with all that was going on. I tried to not stress because really, if we were at Charlotte, or Atlanta airport, I would be in line with Brinley for MUCH longer than 5 minutes.

SO I stripped down, walked through, and put everything back on again. We waited for a good hour before boarding. Brinley was now wide awake and ready to play. She ran around and kept running towards the play table. I kept thinking while chasing her ew germs gross toy table!!! I'm not a germ fa-reak by any means (Ryan might say, uhh YA you are honey!) but items that SCREAM germs...ah no thank you.

So, we're on the plane. Tender mercy definitely that no one sat next to us. So I had both seats to deal with Brinley. ahhh She was SO tired by this point. She was doing the arching back groaning and then she would settle down and cuddle with me for 2 seconds. Repeat 120359832 times. She never cried on the plane. and I'm sure I was just extra sensitive to her noises because we were on an airplane and it was 7am.

The last 10 minutes, she (somehow) passed out in my arms. It was a miracle. Actually, I owe it all to Raffi. again and again and AGAIN that man's songs have put her to sleep. Love him. I don't know all the words to every song so I just make up my own sometimes.

Okay, now this is hilarious. I really didn't want to wake her up so I slugged her around, with my two bags, AND the stroller. For the love. If I knew we were 15 miles from the baggage claim I probably would have put her in the stroller, buuut I didn't. I carried her all the way to where I was meeting my mom outside. There my mom was just as Brinley woke up. AHHHH. Pretty sure my bicep is strained because of the way I was holding her.

Moral of the story.

Traveling with kids is extremely difficult.
I need to bring string cheese next time.
and I need to eat breakfast too.
people on the plane need to stop starring and maybe be nice and at least offer to help. I mean, not saying I would accept help (just because I'm like that) but really, an OBVIOUS struggling mom with a sleeping babe? AND I had to deal with opening the stroller. FOR the love.

BUT on the SUPER plus side, Brinley took a 4 hour nap in the afternoon and went to bed last night without a peep. She LOVES Sophie, duh, and follows her all around the house.

Okay. So tonight, I will blog about my day with Brin.

Ryan. Love you. Miss you.

8 comments:

  1. Way to go with surviving the flight! I have to fly by myself in a few weeks and I'm already dreading it. I hope it goes well. Have fun in north Carolina. I miss you too! Terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh travels... Noone ever is nice when youhavekids, and if they do, it's rare!
    Glad you got there safe though! I always say the flights are doable ( hours of aching, sweating, and wanting to cry or scream) when you know you are getting off the plane to family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Raffi! Baby Beluga is my favorite song, Sorry that traveling was so rough I have only flown with Ry once, he was 4 weeks old and brad was with me! I cant imagine now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Props Meags. Never really want to do that, ever! But, I know how it is to say goodbye to a husband for a little and just the thought of having to do things solo makes it harder. You are one strong mama, and from the sounds of it, Brinley is one REALLY good girl. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i seriously canNOT believe people didn't help you! i have flown by myself and a baby... three different times. each time either i was given special treatment by the airline or some stranger was super nice to me. even this last time with two kids and a husband, we had people offering help. i'm sorry! yay to being with family, boo to no hubby. it sucks. hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That just about sums up every plane story I've had. Just wait until you do get that child that screams the whole plane ride...oh the fights that I've almost gotten into!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how depressing. I;m flying in a couple of weeks to Oklahoma by myself with joslyn just cause thats how it works out with Cory's work schedule, and I'm not looking forward to it. But I need to know bring a stroller or no stroller? this is a first for me, so I'm freaking out, but way excited to be in Oklahoma to see the fam. I guess if you did it then maybe I can!

    ReplyDelete