This is a Mama post. So get ready.
I really don't know what to say. I mean, I have a one year old. I have a one year old? WHAT? How did that happen? I always laugh with Ryan because I totally don't remember being pregnant or giving birth. I remember the experience and kind of what happened, but I don't remember how I felt, the pain, or really any details (like my placenta falling on the hospital floor...oops). Thank goodness, because going through it, I thought Brinley would be our only pregnancy. Thank goodness women FORGET childbirth!
I really don't know what to say. I mean, I have a one year old. I have a one year old? WHAT? How did that happen? I always laugh with Ryan because I totally don't remember being pregnant or giving birth. I remember the experience and kind of what happened, but I don't remember how I felt, the pain, or really any details (like my placenta falling on the hospital floor...oops). Thank goodness, because going through it, I thought Brinley would be our only pregnancy. Thank goodness women FORGET childbirth!
Those 9 months were tough. Compared to most, I guess I had it good. My friend was throwing up all 9 months. but for me, my sickness was more that I was a student for 6 of those months. And I was in the summer heat for 5 months. That was tough enough. Sickness wasn't really the thing that was hard, it was the constant worry of throwing up in class and doing homework. I remember taking a test in the testing center 8.5 months prego. People STARED at me the WHOOOOOOOOLE time. Apparently they've never seen a pregnant lady. and I vow to never be pregnant in the summer again! We traveled quite a bit too. And any pregnant women who know about traveling, it is hard on your body. It took me dayyyyys to recover after a car ride just from Salt Lake City. My back pain still hurts.
Then came October 30th. We went to my 40 week appointment to only hear the disappointing words from my doctor "you are only at a 1cm. There hasn't been a change in 3 weeks." Awesome. Thankfully, I cried and got them to schedule an induction date the day my mom was flying in. That night, Ryan and I rented a movie, went out and got Taco Bell, and were in bed before 10pm.
4:30am. Yikes. POP. Jump out of bed. Water was trickling down my leg. I wasn't putting it past myself that I maaay have peed in my pants. Baby dropped=pressure on bladder. Sneezing=peeing. Just saying. I stood there for another moment and it kept coming. I raced to the bathroom and just stood there, shaking, cold, wet, and really anxious. This was the moment I was waiting for. The excitement came. I went into the bedroom and kept calling Ryan's name over and over again until he woke up. We were RUNNING around the apartment trying to get everything together. I remember just standing in the bathroom, with these granny panties I bought for the hospital with a giant pad to catch the fluid (TMI sorry). and I definitely did NOT pack my hospital bag well enough before hand.
Those 15 hours didn't exactly fly by. But, for the most part, it was good. College football on the TV, epidural in my back, raspberry flavored ice chips. I mean come on, dream land!!
I pushed for a good hour. After 15 hours, you don't have energy AT ALL. The only thing I ate was a banana at 4:30am before we left for the hospital.
Finally, with a little more pushing, out came baby. Ryan went over to the nurses station. I remember him looking at her like he knew her. Like she has always been with us and he was just waiting for her. Finally she was here. His baby girl. I called at him "Is she a Brinley?" And he looked back wiping tears, "Yes, she is Brinley." Phew, at least she had a name!
I love remembering the first time I held her. I was shaking and really exhausted but I held her so close. I kept saying, "You know me. You know me, Brinley." Her breathing wasn't steady and neither was her heartrate, but after our cuddle time, she was good to go.
_________________
Looking back, a year later, I can't believe how fast time has flown by. I look at Brinley now in absolute amazement. She is incredible.
She:
stands
walks
claps
climbs
waves
twirls her hair
eats by herself
uses a cup to drink
takes off her shirt
points
babbles
says mama and dada
recognizes family on Skype, maybe not them personally, but that there are people behind the screen!
throws balls to us
flips the pages in books
tosses everything over her shoulders
gives wet kisses
blows raspberries on our cheeks
gives hugs (mainly by putting her head to our head)
points at facial features
laughs when she sees other babies
takes 2 naps a day and still goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up around 7-8am
eats pretty good but trying new things is not as fun
still LOVES cheese
always smiles when she sees pictures of Jesus
dances when she hears Dora and the "Hot Dog" song from Mickey Mouse
Brinley. I love you so much. I can't wait what year two brings. You bring me SO much joy and I am amazed that you are mine forever. We are sealed together as a family for eternity. Regardless of where life takes us or what may happen, you and me are together forever. You may hate that idea when you're 12, lol but right now, lets enjoy it. I love you and Happy Birthday sweet girl. My little Brinley boo boo boo.
There are tears rolling down my cheeks. Being a mother is something really special, isn't it? I can't believe Brinley is one. I can't believe it. I can't believe it. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I, too, am grateful for not being able to remember the whole pregnancy and birthing process. I DO remember pregnancy sucked and giving birth wasn't THAT bad, but even if they both were horrible and I remembered every detail, having another Greta would be no question. OF COURSE!
ReplyDeleteit brings tears to my eyes reading your story of how Brinley came to you guys. I love reminiscing about the day Josie came into our lives. They grow up way too fast but you can't help but love them even more when they slowly advance into a big girl! You are a wonderful mom and Brinley is a very lucky girl to have such great parents!
ReplyDeletesweet sweet beautiful baby brinley! I still have yet to meet her, but I know I love her. You make me a proud friend Meags. You are an ideal mother and I am so impressed with what a dedicated and loving wife and mother you are. you have a 1 year old!
ReplyDeletemy gosh. time fliiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeees! this is only more obvious once you're a mom. wow. lil brinners isn't a baby anymore! well, sure she is, brookey is still my baby even though ethan is here, but ya know what i mean.
ReplyDeleteokay, so i STILL laugh when i hear about you dropping your placenta on the ground...CLASSIC!
anyway, congrats on being such an amazing momma!
p.s. i loved this sweet sweet mommy post...
so beautifully written meags!!! you are such a great mommy to little brinley...and such an inspiration to me! i love you. thanks for being such a great friend! it has been SO great to have someone to go through this process of new-mommyhood with! xoxo
ReplyDelete