Step One:
Read this.
**Isn't that woman who wrote in ridiculous??? I'm not focusing on how absolutely crazy that woman is, however, I'm focusing on the great things the columnist talked about. Thought you might enjoy reading it regardless.
Step Two:
This made me laugh! But also nod my head and really appreciate the job I do have. I am grateful to be a stay-at-home mommy. Sometimes, the tasks to get done in the day are daunting. And when friends who don't have kids ask me what I did this week or over the weekend, I just laugh. Um, we stayed at home and played with puzzles all day. Or, ahhh Brinley is teething again. I feel kind of lame sometimes, but then I remember this article and the long list of all that I need to do. All that I am responsible for.
At times, mommy-hood consumes me. There is more to life, and more to me, then just changing diapers, filling sippy cups, wiping tears, and reading kids books. I feel like a small part of the fun, out-going, go-getter, spunky Meagan died when I gave birth. But then I look at that wild 22-month old who practically follows me around all day and says to me frequently, "No way, jose," and remember, Yes...that is where my spunky out-going personality went.
I definitely can sympathize when the author explained that you may only get 10 minutes of down time during the day. That ten minutes is filled with either a shower, getting dishes done, laundry put away, or wanting to put your face in a pillow and scream. I do one of these things, or call my Mom to vent or chit chat. Thankfully, my bff and I text frequently during our busy mommy days which helps me laugh often and remember that she is in knee deep of "toddler-hood" too!!
Yesterday, I started singing "You are my Sunshine," and Brinley stopped everything she was doing and just stared at me and started to sway back and forth. Oh my, you are the cutest! She had me repeat the song 6 more times. I can't help but feel super inadequate at times when the list of all the "you must teach your pre-schooler" becomes GINORMOUS. And, when I start comparing children and parenting techniques? Neeeever a good thing.
But, the other day when she started counting to ten, out of order of course, but she counted off "one, two, three, six, ten!" (in her voice and not so clear English). Ahhh, proud mommy moment!!
I cherish these days I have with just Brinley. Even though I long to be pregnant, I know my day will come again. I hate myself for complaining through those 9 months with Brin. I hate myself for that. It is amazing now that I want ALL of the pains and troubles from pregnancy, TIMES a Million. If only I knew this next phase was in store for me.
To some, motherhood may not seem too glamorous. And guess what? It isn't 90% of the time. And at those moments where I long to be someone else, like a big time heart surgeon, or be in Africa helping in a health clinic for malnourished children, or live in Boston wearing stilettos everywhere I go and talking on my blackberry and being somebody important in the corporate world. Sometimes, I just can't help it.
But, Brinley has become my little wing-girl and I love her more and more everyday. Brinley has become my best little friend. It is funny how I wait and wait for bedtime at 6:30pm practically all day (especially the long days), but then when she has been asleep in her bed for an hour, I want to go wake her up and play with her!
I promised myself that when she's old enough to understand why there is a gap between her and her younger sibling, I will tell her that she was my miracle. It was her who pulled me out of the dark times. It was Brinley who helped me keep believing.
To some, motherhood may not seem too glamorous. And guess what? It isn't 90% of the time. And at those moments where I long to be someone else, like a big time heart surgeon, or be in Africa helping in a health clinic for malnourished children, or live in Boston wearing stilettos everywhere I go and talking on my blackberry and being somebody important in the corporate world. Sometimes, I just can't help it.
But, Brinley has become my little wing-girl and I love her more and more everyday. Brinley has become my best little friend. It is funny how I wait and wait for bedtime at 6:30pm practically all day (especially the long days), but then when she has been asleep in her bed for an hour, I want to go wake her up and play with her!
I promised myself that when she's old enough to understand why there is a gap between her and her younger sibling, I will tell her that she was my miracle. It was her who pulled me out of the dark times. It was Brinley who helped me keep believing.

check check check
ReplyDeleteSunday I had a bit of a breakdown because I have a rowdy little sunday school class of 5 year olds and it doesn't make Sundays easier. Why was I called into this calling right when Greta goes to nursery....RIGHT when I could finally be amongst adults and learn something and have a moment on peace in my week. I still don't know the answer to that question. But this article and this post was such a great reminder of all the important things I do. Even if I feel like all I ever do is struggle with kids all week long--EVERY DAY now, there is a lot more that I do and a lot more that I am supposed to learn.
ReplyDeleteI am going to reply, because I can :-)
ReplyDeletegahhh I can't imagine. I thought working in YW was a battle when the girls have attitude some Sundays. I am lucky, I guess! What gets me is all the hard days when I try and teach and expect Brin to be like, "ooo ya. I get it. A B C!" and repeat whatever it is I teach her immediately back to me. and she doesn't. Day after day after daaaaaaaay. But then, there is a moment where she does it, by herself, reading a book, and I just happen to over hear it. It makes it all worth it.
Love this post! That columnist didn't pull any punches, either. Good for her!! You are a great mom!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE it! I have read this article before and it was good to read it again!
ReplyDeletegreat post! I'm the same way with Lilli. Soon after she goes to bed, I have the urge to wake her up and play!
ReplyDeletethat article was AWESOME. i had to read it to brad- we both got a good laugh. oh, lady... you don't even know. mommyhood is so difficult and so so so rewarding. i am totally with you- i feel like i have lost myself and just can't seem to come back (probably because i can't seem to catch a break between kids). but they are so worth it. i'm sure i've said this before because it is my FAVORITE book, but seriously you would love the book "I am a Mother". will pick you up INSTANTLY on any bad day.
ReplyDeleteI have read this before and was so shocked at how perfectly the lady describes motherhood.
ReplyDeleteI have to take motherhood 1 day at a time. I don't have a lot of good friends because I have my beautiful girls. And I wouldn't want it any other way.
We had family night last night. Which consisted of sitting on our bed and trying to read one chapter in the BOM. We made it to verse 7. ha! But we had the best time laughing at Kamryn as she repeated the words as I read a verse to her. Did I mention that I had the opportunity that night to dance for Zumba in front of tons of people? I wanted to so bad but I had faith that being with my family was more important. What if I had missed that special little family night on my bed?
Thanks for your TT. Sorry I may not always have time to comment. You can imagine what 3 Brinley's would be like. I guess you should be asking, Why don't friends with kids have time to comment? lol!
Katelyn, you are the BEST!
ReplyDeleteWhat a special FHE! Which reminded me that I need to be better about doing FHE every Monday. We are like 1 Monday out of the month. We MUST be better!!! I can't even imagine having 3 Brinley's, but I totally want it at the same time! I love seeing your cute girls grow up and see their personalities blossom. You have a beautiful family! Annnnd I wish we lived near each other to hang, vent, and for you to capture my family on camera! You are so talented!!!
Thanks for the book suggestion!! I actually think the article helped Ryan understand why I am the way I am sometimes when I'm stressed and overwhelmed and emotional. Our lives are SO busy ALL THE TIME. I can't imagine having more children and being MORE busy. But the moments when the house is quiet and all I have to do is sit on my bum and watch a good show, ahhhh so good :-) That recharges me!
ReplyDeleteSo true! My house may not always be clean but I have happy healthy kids! Sometimes I don't think people realize how much work it takes to keep up with kids! The whole "I work an 8hr day and still do those things" cracks me up! Of course you can do all your chores and errands in a few hours when you get home- you don't have a tag-a-long!! Going grocery shopping by myself is a treat!!
ReplyDeleteI reeeeeeeeeeally hope I was never as naive as that silly woman who wrote the letter. I love your Truth Tuesday's. I think you should create a link-in and have your interweb friends join you!
ReplyDeleteI am embarrassed to admit that I used to be like the lady who wrote in. Before I had Kimball, I thought stay-at-home moms have the easiest job ever. My view definitely changed when I became a stay-at-home mom myself. I will never be judgmental again :) It is interesting to me how our jobs can be the hardest and yet BEST jobs ever!
ReplyDeleteIt is definitely overwhelming at times, living in our "workplace". It is rewarding when you hear your little one counting or saying her ABCs. It helps to know that they are learning something during the day! You are a great mom!!!
PS-I really look forward to your truth Tuesdays. Thanks for sharing your thoughts & feelings.
Whenever I have a moment to myself I never want to talk on the phone or go out...I want to sit on the couch and watch tv or do nothing...don't hate until you've been there right? Good article Meg!
ReplyDeleteOh man. I bet every SAHM wanted to smack that lady after reading that article. lol. The columnist also forgot to mention the monotony of SAHM tasks sometimes. Because wiping someone's nose 50 million times a day every day, or waking up 5/6/7 times a night, or cleaning up unraveled toilet paper AGAIN... yep, all of us are just so eager to wake up and do it all over again day after day after day. But like you said, working so long on something with them and then they all of a sudden get it? Totally worth it. I consider N my little best friend too! lol. They're just so cute and fun.
ReplyDeleteWell said. Well said. Sometimes it is crazy to look back at the day and guess what we did isn't it? You've done well with this one Meags.
ReplyDeleteOk girl, you are such a good momma. But I had to laugh because the other day I had a new family over for dinner and the other mom asked me what I like to do. I totally laughed out loud and the first answer that came to my mind were coloring. How sad eh? But really motherhood consumes me and I love it. My kids are what I like to do, and I would not have anytng else.
ReplyDelete