Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Meeting Santa

This year, I was determined to get Brinley and Santa together. Preferably not at the mall. Malls at Christmas time make me so hot and anxious I always feel like I'm about to pass out. Last year, we wimped out after standing in line for 45 minutes. We had barely moved forward at all!! Boo. Luckily, at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens in Belmont, NC, Santa is there. AND barely anyone goes/knows about it. Win-win for everyone. The gardens are so beautiful and they have delicately put lights up all throughout. No obnoxious lights here. Sophisticated, romantic, subtle lights. My cup of tea.


This year, Brinley gets Santa. Last year, I don't think she quite understood, but we still did our best. She is now asking a lot of questions and we even wrote him a letter. She kept asking why Santa was here, but not his reindeer. Yes, my 3-year-old is very wise for her age. I have to be on my game 24/7 or she will catch something.


The moment she saw him, I seriously almost started crying. It was so beautiful. All this anticipation of seeing Santa and telling him what she wants for Christmas just filled my heart. It was of love and hope and excitement. It made me reflect on my childhood years of dreaming of Christmas and the excitement of what Santa was going to bring. The heart of a little child is so innocent. Her eyes were so big. Once she sat on his lap, she got right down to business. She told him her name. And of course, "a Cinderella pumpkin carriage  and a Cinderella doll. With a Prince Charming. and the Step Sister. and....a doctors coat." He gave her a few candy canes and that was that!


As we were walking out, Miss Ellie woke up, and so I had to get her on his lap too! Brinley was already in her stroller and as stubborn as ever not wanting to get out and sit on his lap again. One sit is good enough. I don't blame her.



So sweet, right? That little squish gets me every time! Then...Santa did that awkward, "ho ho ho, come sit on Santa's lap!" along with a pat. How could I say no in front of my children!!! It was weird. But fun at the same time. I can't remember the last time I sat on Santa's lap!


We walked around the gardens checking out all the beautiful lights. My adorb parents caught arm in arm. Almost 32 years later, and still madly in love. 





We took our time getting back inside the main meeting room for some hot chocolate. But once we were in there, an electronic wind instrument musician was jamming out. It was suuuuch beautiful music. He sounded like Kenny G. Yes, please!

sipping on our cocoa

extra squishy!

these three were killing me

don't forget the grandpa/granddaughter dancing

and the grandma cuddling

I'd say, all in all, this was a definite success. and a spot we will remember to come back to in years to come. It was romantic (I was sure missing my main squeeze!) and so beautiful. Really puts in perspective that Christmas should be calming and inviting. No more Mall Santa's for us!

5 comments:

  1. I love those lights! So pretty. And you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place!! Okay... totally got your reference to the Dorthy B. Oven park... some of those lights are crazy. This garden looked very romantic and subtle. That was a good lookin' Santa too. I always like looking at people's pictures with Santa and determining if he's what I would say he looks like or just the mall kind. haha! So happy you're having a great time. I hope Ryan is getting there soon to spend time with his girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS is the way to do it. We went to the mall this year. NOT GOOD!! Won't be doing that again. But where, oh where, is a place like THIS around us. Every photo and word was captivating. That tree!! The music. The dancing. The hot drinks. Oh man. I am loving it all. I can't wait for Greta to grasp Santa a little more. She doesn't quite...get it. But reading about Brinley and her excitement gets me me so excited for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. my. goodness. This looks like an absolute dream! Your girls are adorable and it just sounds like you guys had a wonderful night. I miss NC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Ellie is getting so big and Brinley is as adorable as ever :)

    ReplyDelete