Monday, December 3, 2012

WO: week 1

I took a generous amount of time off from when I first posted about my goals about getting into shape. After Thanksgiving week, I felt determined to get to the gym. Remember, I'm not going for the lbs because I know that when I stop nursing Ellie, those pounds will shed quickly (hopefully like they did with Brinley). I am working out to tone up this bod. My initial goal was to train for a half-marathon in February, but it landed on a Sunday. It is so hard finding runs that do not happen on the Sabbath. But, I didn't want that to frustrate my goals of getting into running shape. I am going to do my best to keep up with a beginners running schedule for the next 6 months and see if there is another run sometime in the late spring time.

Most of the schedules that I've found are for people who have been running at least 15 miles a week for a few months. Well, this mama hasn't run in a LONG time. Basically over a year and then some. I am starting off slower than these schedules, obviously!

My running days this week:

Tuesday:
It was my first day out the gate. I got onto the treadmill and walked for 5 minutes at a 2.0 incline at 4.0 mph. I picked up the speed and lowered the incline to 1.0 and 5.0 mph. I ran until I hit 1.5 miles. It was so refreshing! Sure, it took me 20 minutes to get to my goal, but I didn't stop. If I felt tired, I would lower the speed by a couple notches, and then pick back up when I felt better. I was surprised how strong my heart felt. My body? Flabby and jiggly. But, my incision felt great. Meaning, it didn't hurt one bit!! I stretched afterwards and did some weight machine that worked my arms :-)


dead after running/2 sports bras did the trick

Wednesday:
Ryan got home from school at 4:30 and I rushed to the gym knowing that if I didn't go then, I wouldn't go later. I biked for 10 minutes at a high speed, mid intensity. After I got my heart pumping and was sweating a bit, I jumped on the treadmill and ran for 20 minutes. I again made it to 1.5 miles and then walked for 5 minutes, slowly decreasing my speed. I did a few free weight exercises afterwards and felt really strong! Ambitious me decided to try doing a sit up. Yikes. My incision doesn't hurt running, but booooooy did it pull trying to do a sit up.

dinner with spaghetti squash!

Friday:
Another great running day. My body felt pretty sore after 2 days of running and one day off. I pushed through and ran for 30 minutess off and on. It was so refreshing to hit that 2 mile marker! After I stretched, I did a few free weight exercises.


My goals this week:
1. to run at least 2 miles 3 times a week. If I make it to the gym for the 4th time, that would be awesome.
2. my weight hasn't changed from 150, but I seriously feel like my body is already toning up and tightening up. Rewarding, baby!
3. I ate pretty clean this week, except for Saturday night when Brinley and I went on a date to the store and came home with some ice cream :-) Now that I am burning about 400ish calories a few times a week, I am eating MORE. Holy cow I am starving all. the. time!
4. I am drinking a TON of water. It feels so good to be continually hydrated.
5. As for my body image and confidence, it is getting there. I will feel really good when I can finally fit into my jeans comfortably and feel like my booty isn't as huge. Time, girl, time.

4 comments:

  1. Great job Megs!! Working out is tough but so rewarding....keep up the good work mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Just be careful with those sit ups, it took me about 4 months before I could really work on my stomach without any pain. your motivation is inspiring! your awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PROUD of YOU! you have every excuse to not go to the gym, but you're doing it. So keep it up. It will be hard and worth it. Wish we could go on a run together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - time!n I'm a first time mom this year, and I can't believe how much it changed my body. I need to tone too! And lose weight. I took some before pics about 4 weeks ago when I started my weight-loss program, and boy I can tell a difference after 4 weeks! Yeah, the scale has moved, but I didn't realize how different I already look until I compared with my before pics. So proud of you! You can do this.

    ReplyDelete