With the 4th falling on a Wednesday (awful idea!!), we basically couldn't go or do anything too far from home. We had plans of driving up to Charlotte to spend the weekend boating and having a grand ol' time with my parents and brother's family....but Ry couldn't take off any work, and my brother is studying for the bar (boooring)....so it was just us hanging around this year. I honestly couldn't remember what we did last year, and apparently, we did the same thing! We are determined to have a much more exciting 4th next year. Hopefully we will be in Charlotte! Ry will be probably studying for the bar, but at least I can play with my parents and go on the boat! Woo! Here's to hoping!
Anyways, we all slept in until 8:30am! It was unreal! Brinley rarely lets us sleep in and Ry and I were both dead to the world until we heard, "mama!! MAMA!!!" We rolled out of bed, ate some breakfast, and then got cleaned up and went over to the mall. The weather has been quite scorching lately, so we definitely wanted to have an early start to the day. The mall wasn't very busy and Brinley always enjoys going to the play place. We walked around a lot which was nice since we never just go to stroll the mall. We left before noon, came back, and made some lunch.
Brinley napped and Ry and I lounged and I think I even dozed off a bit. We were BORING let me tell you! This 4th post is not exciting! After Brinley woke up from her nap, it started pouring rain. Like, raaaaaaining. But we didn't want to stay in the house on our day off, so we piled in the car and drove around and looked at some housing developments we've been meaning to drive through. You see, there is a possibility we could end up staying here after Law school and we want to be prepared where we would want to live for the next 5 or so years.
We got back and decided to start cooking up dinner. We had yummy grilled chicken, turkey sausage, grilled veggies, and some roasted potatoes. It was a perfect dinner. Brinley couldn't get enough of the chicken and turkey sausage!
Anyways, we all slept in until 8:30am! It was unreal! Brinley rarely lets us sleep in and Ry and I were both dead to the world until we heard, "mama!! MAMA!!!" We rolled out of bed, ate some breakfast, and then got cleaned up and went over to the mall. The weather has been quite scorching lately, so we definitely wanted to have an early start to the day. The mall wasn't very busy and Brinley always enjoys going to the play place. We walked around a lot which was nice since we never just go to stroll the mall. We left before noon, came back, and made some lunch.
We got back and decided to start cooking up dinner. We had yummy grilled chicken, turkey sausage, grilled veggies, and some roasted potatoes. It was a perfect dinner. Brinley couldn't get enough of the chicken and turkey sausage!
For dessert, I made a peach cobbler! I had been craving a cobbler for a loooooong time and finally got around to making it. We ate the whole thing (it was very shallow...) by the end of the night and it was worth it. Until I woke up around 4am with raging heart burn. Oh well, it was yummy :-) I found this recipe that is considered a "healthier" version, but honestly, I can't imagine making a cobbler any other way. It was already super rich. The other recipes wanted you to use 1/2 cup more of sugar! Eeek! shhhh don't tell anyone, I used canned peaches! You would never know!!
We put Brinley to bed, and then put in The Woman in Black (no we do NOT recommend this one). While we were watching it, we heard lots of fireworks but only saw one. Basically, we just had a lazy day, we saw one firework, sang Yankee Doodle with Brinley, and ate some All-American food :-)
---------------------
I had to post these pictures from the weekend. We drove over to the Tallahassee Museum on Saturday to check it out, finally!! It took us almost 2 years to go. Geez we are lame. They had a dinosaur thing going on, so throughout the whole place, there were sculptures of dinosaurs! I did not know what to expect going to this museum. It is completely in a national forest, and 95% of it is outside! There are no paved walkways! I am so glad Ry told me to wear my Sperry's because I was about to walk out the door in my Rainbow flops and my feet would have hated me.
We were pretty excited to see the animals they had there:
black bear, alligator, bobcat, bald eagles, owls, turtles, deer, turkey, and our favorite, the Florida Panther!!
It definitely isn't a zoo replacement, but our closest zoo is over 2 hours away. It was still fun for Brinley to see these animals and to see them in a pretty natural habitat!
pointing out the giant turkeys.
don't you love that shirt on Brinley? It is her favorite shirt!
me and Brin
the Florida Panther! He was playing with this giant plastic pickle. We were laughing so hard!
look at this cutie!
After we saw the animals, we went over to the big kids playground and let Brin run around for awhile. We left before noon and it was already very humid and hot. I've learned that anything you want to do outside, must be done before 11am. It gets too hot and humid to function past then. I am cranky and miserable when it gets too hot!
Brinley is SO cute!!! I did Greta's hair in two french braids (for the first time) on the 4th, too. How sad is it that you guys did WAY more than we did. Your day actually sounds perfect to me. I am digging that pink dinosaur! Chris made a lot of freezer meals for his brother's family all day and I painted/worked on the house/watched Greta. It was low-key. A little too low key but this whole week has been one big party so it was okay.
ReplyDeleteAlright, I am totally serious about planning a get-together with the Briggs. When can we fly you all out for a few days? :)
Can Chris make ME some freezer meals?? LOL no but seriously, I would love his recipes and what he did. I need to start making a stock pile for when this baby comes and also when we have ZERO dinner options.
ReplyDeleteFly US out? NO WAY are you guys doing that. Honestly though, Ryan has zero time off from work for the rest of the summer. He wants to make a good impression on this firm and he feels way guilty asking for days off every now and then. We can't even plan a road trip to Charlotte to see my family and it makes me want to cry! We always go to Charlotte during the summer!!! boooooo!
double boo! Is it just me or is Brin really looking older - less toddler, more little girl?
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie!!
ReplyDeleteThat zoo looks like fun. The closest zoo to us is still pretty far, and I'm not sure how much Noah would actually like it.
Nothing wrong with a low-key holiday. Sometimes those end up being better than the stressful kind anyway. :)
it´s great!
ReplyDeleteA pink dino?!? WHAT?!? And Brin's face in that first pic is hilarious. She's seriously such a doll!
ReplyDeleteOur 4th was crazy too. We woke up and had a ward breakfast (we had a water fight with all of the primary kids). We then went Kayaking. Then we went swimming in our community pool. Then we went to a BBQ. So tiring!
Slept in till 8:30??? That sounds sooo nice. James and Gavin were good babies and have been waking up around 7:30/8ish since being born basically. Jack-Jack... ugh... not even close. Someday, right? That museum looks hecka fun! We are going to try and see a few things around here that we haven't been to. There is a wildlife reserve 45 minutes away where you drive through all the wild animals. Pretty sure it's cooler than Bear World near Rexburg ;)
ReplyDeletewe had a laid back 4th this year too and i gotta say those are definitely underrated! i really enjoyed it! i need some of that peach cobbler asap! i loooove cobbler!
ReplyDeleteand i'm glad you got to go to the jr museum! (despite those crazy lemurs! ha) and you got to see the dinos! sweet! i can still remember being a year or two older than brin and seeing those there one time when they came through! (they also had ones that moved but apparently i was too scared for those ones! ha)
cute shirt ryan! also have i told you i love your header!! and you're lookin really great, as usual. looks like a fun family day.
ReplyDelete