Monday, July 2, 2012

A child's prayer

Just in the past couple weeks, Brinley has been taking the lead saying her own prayers. 

Dear Heavenly Father....

....thankful for this day....

...thankful for family....

....thankful for naps....

....thankful for panties...

....thankful for night lights....

...thankful for my pillow pet....

....thankful for lotion....

....thankful for toys....

....say these things....

....in Jesus name....

.....amen.

Ryan and I were about to start crying we were so touched by her sweet prayer! I peeked halfway through her prayer when she said thankful for panties, and she was looking around her bedroom and naming off things she was seeing. It was pretty funny. It is amazing seeing your child start to develop these habits of prayer. We have also been having Family Home Evening every Monday night after dinner for probably over 3 months now. We have been doing it every week for so long that we don't forget anymore. This week, Brinley reminded us.

Me: Guess what tonight is!!! (saying this to Ryan)
Ryan: Bach night....
Brinley (in the background): Family Home Evening!!

Ry and I looked at each other and died. While I was thinking about watching the Bachelorette, my sweet angel babe was thinking about FHE. What a sweetheart. 

7 comments:

  1. what a doll! i love her so much! i think thankful for panties is my favorite one. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetheart! I love that she did it all on her own! And I LOVE the comment about FHE. I really really need to work on that...any suggestions for a family struggling with that?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be still my heart! Brinley, you are an inspiration to us all. Greta likes Chris and I BOTH to say a prayer at nights and if there is any interruption (from her, usually) we have to do it again. But I agree with Jessie, TIPS on FHE pleasseee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what tips on FHE I can give! We always do it RIGHT after dinner and have like a 90 second lesson. We go on the friend magazine link and usually find a picture and tell a story or show a short scripture video and talk about it. The thing we have found is just consistency. She loves the scripture videos (http://www.lds.org/friend/online-activities/videos/scripture-stories?lang=eng) and they tell a great story....come on anything disguised as a "show," Brinley is hooked!

    Last night, we died. Anything we asked her or talked about (tonight was about respecting others), she kept answering back about doggies getting hair cuts. We had no idea where she was getting this. She talked about hair cuts probably 25 times before the end of Ryan's lesson. THEN I remember- Ryan came home from work with a new hair cut....and we talked about it for about 3 seconds and apparently that really stuck with Brinley. haha....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave some advice replying back from Julia's comment....I honestly don't know why or how we remember every week, but it gets easier and easier the more you do it. Before, we were like once a month maybe, but we made it a goal to be more consistent. It helps that Brinley mentions it sometime during Monday so then my brain is already thinking about it. I had to write it on our white board every week for awhile because by the time dinner was over, I was ready to start the bedtime routine. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. brin is killing me. that is so funny... and darling!!! what a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete