Thursday, July 26, 2012

Gymnastics Time!

dancing on the way to class

please, mom, no pictures.

The Scoot



The Tunnel

Foam Pit Obstacle Course


Forward Roll



Next week is our 8th and final week. It has been such a great experience for Brinley. The class is only 30 minutes long, one day a week, but she has learned SO much. I wish I had the video camera today to video her in the "warm-up." They do some cute warm-up exercises like touching toes, pointing toes, flexing toes, butterfly, splits, jumping around, etc. Today, Brinley was a champ and did almost everything perfectly. It has taken weeeeeks to get to this point, but I was just so proud of her watching her do it herself instead of me forcing her body to move in those specific positions like I had to do in the beginning weeks.

Her coach was fantastic. Her enthusiasm was perfect for little toddlers. Not OVER THE TOP or too shy, but Brinley acted like she could trust her even from the first class when she asked for a volunteer to demonstrate a certain rotation. I really do think it is impressive seeing young girls (she's probably 17-18 yrs old) be so friendly and easy going around kids.

Usually, there were about 6-8 different rotation spots in each class so that we were free to move about how we wanted and Brinley could pick and choose her favorites. When we first started the gym class, I thought parents were just on the side lines, but no, we are right there to spot our kids in everything they do. My back usually hurts for the rest of the day but it is so worth it to interact with Brinley.

I have also learned that Brinley can be pretty reluctant to certain things too. She never touched the trampoline. She rarely climbed the ladder. She maybe did the hang bar twice. But, she was easily one of the best kids in the class on the balance beam. And her technique with the forward roll (a fancy somersault) was the best out of everyone and I rarely had to spot her or show her how to do it. And she took directions from me very well. Since mama couldn't bend down every time to show her how to do certain things, I had to really break my directions down to the simplest form for her to understand.

The best thing about Brinley that I've learned with her doing this class is her enthusiasm for everything. Not that I didn't recognize her enthusiasm before, it was just really pronounced during this class when other kids were around. She definitely gets that enthusiasm from Ryan because he was the kid that was excited and pumped about everything. Brinley always volunteered if Coach Britney asked for help, and she always listened to her, and she never threw a fit if she couldn't get something the first time.

Now, I am debating on putting her in the Fall 12-week session that starts the second week of September. I really don't see a problem even with the baby being born in October. Brinley is really doing well and I don't want her to miss our just because our schedule and life is getting a bit busy. The class for 12 weeks (still only 30 minutes one day a week) is only $35. So even if we go half the time, I think it will still be worth it. There is a wider variety of classes available (after 5pm and on Saturday's), so I think we can do it. Am I crazy!? I really don't want Brinley's activities to stop just because we're having another baby. I gotta learn how to juggle 2 kids eventually right? Might as well jump right into it.

10 comments:

  1. Where do you go? You will have to tell me about it because I really want to get Kiley into something like this. Also, I know of someone from 2nd ward who will be teaching dance classes for this age in the fall at Forest Meadows and Kiley is going to do that, so Brinley should do it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your mom will be in town when the baby comes, right? maybe she could take brinley to her class while she's in town and that'll give you some nice, quiet time with the newborn and your mom some fun grandma time! or ryan could take her in the later weeks if they have times when he's not busy. i'm so excited to do fun things like that with joonerbug in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience for Brinley and you both. I think you should sign her up for the fall class. Especially when baby #2 arrives. It will give Brinley some "Brinley" time. Plus it is always good to get those young bodies and minds discovering new things. My preschool class had a "fitness" class once every two weeks and they loved it!! As a teacher I loved those days because they would nap a lot better. On top of all that gymnastics is a great sport. I wish I had the chance to start when I was Brinley's age. If you can work it into your schedule and budget, I say GO FOR IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's at the Trousdell Center!! Kiley would LOVE it. Check online for the registration dates because you have to phone in to get onto a day and time and it may not be your first choice and then you go later to pay before the session starts. I think adding the dance class may put my sanity over the limits especially having a baby and all :-) no big deal or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, that's a great idea. That's why I'm happy they have later classes for this fall session so that we can pick my husband up and go right over before dinner so he can either hold the baby while I help her, or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TOTALLY jump right in! It is a handful but you can totally do it!
    Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE her leotard!! So cute! why is she so dang cute!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, secondary registration is on August 22, 23 and 24. I will be working there on the 23rd. Phone reg. starts after that but you have a better chance getting the class you want by going in for sec. reg. I will grab a class schedule if you want one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a riot! Go Brinley! I so wish you had some video footage of this. Maybe in the meantime have her put on her leotard once a week and tumble around the house. Hahahhaa. Really, I just know Greta would love to watch it on repeat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I love her too much. She reminds me of you. I wish you had video so that I could see the enthusiasm! I think you should definitely try to put her in the fall class. Now is the time for her to start doing things she loves and developing talents. PLUS, it's a great way for her to socialize with other kids and adults. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a new mommy to #2 - keeping your toddler busy and active is the BEST thing. I cut out a lot out of my daughters activities and it made for a grumpy toddler. Newborns travel - grump toddlers are much harder to handle.

    ReplyDelete