Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Brief* Potty Update

*this post may take you longer than 5 minutes to read.

My big girl has been potty trained for almost 2 months now! I am so happy! It has been so nice not having to worry about buying diapers and dealing with wiping her bum over and over again throughout the day. She is such a big girl!

It took me awhile to be fully committed to putting her in panties while we were out and about for longer than an hour or so. I just recently let her wear panties to gymnastics class. I was a nervous wreck the entire time and kept asking her if she needed to go. She has gone in a few restaurants. And for awhile now for Church I have kept her in a diaper, but still took her after the nursery block to go. Last Sunday, she wore panties for the first time and did fantastic.

However, there have been a few accidents in the recent weeks.

After naps, Brinley refuses to go. I know she needs to. But she is groggy from waking up and won't sit on the potty. So I let her play for a bit and then talk her into going no more than 15 minutes after she has woken up. One time, I got distracted, and I heard her start saying, "I'm goingggggg...." and as she started saying that, in my head I'm yelling NOOOOOO! So, that was the first accident in weeks.

And then there was this one time while I was getting ready for the day, and I saw Brinley sitting in the corner of my room playing with something, and then I heard her say, "Mommy, I went pee pee." I thought she said, I need to go pee pee. But instead, I found her in the corner, in wet clothes and my carpet soaked.

It has been at least 3 weeks since her last accident and we have been cruising with potty training. We use one diaper a day which is for bedtime and she has been so great telling me. She has even gone in public restrooms and she always reminds me when we are places that Joann's has a potty, mommy. So let me know if you need to go. I'm not kidding. Apparently I have said that phrase so many times that she likes to remind me to go potty. Makes me laugh every time.

Okay, but back to today. On Wednesdays, we meet up with some Church gals and their kids for song time at the Library and afterwards we go to Chick-Fil-A for lunch (a mom's perfect morning right??). Library time was fabulous and then off to Chick-Fil-A we went to grab some food. Brinley was busy running back and forth from the play place to the table grabbing bites of chicken nuggets, and I was busy talking to my new girlfriends about various get to know you topics. Basically, I wasn't worrying about Brinley having to go potty. Just as I thought, I wonder if she needs to go....I heard a tap on the window, and there is Brinley mouthing something like blah blah potty...blah blah pee pee....I jumped right up thinking we needed to go run to the potty right now! But noooooooo. She was standing there in the middle of the play place with wet pants and legs, pointing and saying, Mommy, I went potty. I could tell she was pretty embarrassed so I tried to not make a big deal about it. Mama was prepared with clean panties and shorts so she was clean and redressed within minutes. The Chick-Fil-A guy was so helpful and kept saying, "This happens all the time....I'm just grateful it wasn't in the tubes or down the slide..." But for me, it WAS MY FIRST TIME dealing with a public accident and I was pretty mortified. Luckily, Brinley was super cute and everyone just gave reassuring smiles that this too has happened to them too. And thankfully, people don't really want to give a 7 month pregnant woman a hard time or dirty looks. Being pregnant does have its advantages.

Bless her heart.

I am pretty adamant on asking her around the 1 1/2-2 hour mark and if she says she doesn't need to go, she does a pretty good job after that telling me when she needs to go. It is still a work in progress and I have no idea when we should start night training, but for now, I really don't care about her wearing a diaper at night. Some mornings she wakes up with a dry diaper, and other mornings she has soaked through and her bed is all wet.

She is such a big girl and I am so happy she has taken to potty training as well as she has. It has been so great taking a break with spending so much on diapers. At least we get to enjoy it for a few more months before we plow through at least 10 diapers a day with the new baby! It will be a transition for sure getting back into it!

10 comments:

  1. hang in there! i'm sure she'll be quite the pro once it's time for her to be a big sister!
    also i'm really glad the chick-fil-a guy was so understanding! brownie points for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brief potty update? Brief? Geese. There goes 5 minutes I'll never get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, poor Brin. She's doing so good. :)
    I never thought about other kids having accidents in those places. That would be AWFUL having to clean one of those tube things out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guy said once, it was all the way down the slide.....ahhhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish it was longer than 5 minutes for us "the people that care" this blog is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Brinley!! That is awesome that she's doing so well. I love the comment about JoAnn's :) And Max is the same way...after naps he is so grumpy and wants nothing to do with the potty. Just the other day he had an accident on my parent's brand new carpet right after a nap. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, I died a little at the 5 minute comment. It's a personal blog! Write what you want to write! I actually enjoyed this post. I'm still not a mom so there is SO much I need to learn. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to teach another (small) human being how to go to the bathroom in a certain area at certain times of the day! You're doing great, mama. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor girl! You handled it so well, I would have been freaking out if Kiley had done that. She never had an accident at a restaurant, but several at church and they weren't pleasant!

    ReplyDelete