Ever since I found Leanne Barlow's Elle Apparel blog, I have been itching to do one of her sewing tutorials. Sewing clothes isn't a strength for me, especially the extensive tutorials she has, but the Canvas Beach Bag caught my eye immediately. I can sew that! It is hard finding good looking canvas fabric without the added price tag, so the last time my Mom was at Ikea in Charlotte (our closet Ikea is in Orlando...4 hours away!!! It really is a crime!), she called me and asked if I needed anything. Um, a bookshelf or two, maybe some picture ledges, some frames, possibly some art work? Just kidding, but the thing that popped in my head immediately was their stripped Canvas fabric.
My Mom suggested putting in a waterproof liner in the bag since the tutorial didn't call for one. It doesn't totally make sense to have a beach/pool bag and it not be waterproof. Or is that just me?! Right as we were discussing it, she found the perfect table cloth type waterproof fabric that would coordinate perfectly with the red stripe canvas that she bought. I think each were $7.99 a yard and she got a yard and a half of each. I easily only used a yard, but it was nice having the extra fabric just in case I made an error somewhere. So for possibly $20-$25, I sewed a gorgeous big beach/pool bag that is unique and stylish! Woo!
Isn't she the BEST? She popped it in the mail immediately and it has only been sitting by my sewing machine for a week or so. I was afraid to start a project like this using such awesome fabric because I thought I would screw up the entire thing!!
The tutorial was SO easy to follow, and making the inner liner was just as easy. To make the liner, I sewed another bag with the same measurements and everything but left it inside out. I sewed in pockets on both sides that would fit sunscreen, snacks, a water bottle, and my sunglasses. Bags without pockets suck. I knew I would utilize these pockets completely and I am SO happy I added them.
For the straps, I just made 2 tubes of fabric about 25ish inches long and sewed them in.
Why I can't figure out how to SEW the liner inside the bag without having to pin it almost completely and do a trial run flip, is beyond me. It was complicated and I was stressed, but thankfully, I got it right the first time!
*my notes for next time: liner, wrong side out and put the outer bag right side out inside the liner, and sew :-) Leave room to pull out and sew along the top to close the opening and give a finished edge*
The bag is ginormous and I LOVE IT. I couldn't believe I sewed it when it was finished. If you have an Ikea close by, I would seriously sew you a bag too. It was one of my funnest projects to date!
We headed off to the pool right after I finished, and I felt preeeeetty cool walking to our designated table. hahaha I was able to fit comfortably inside:
2 towels
pair of arm floaties-inflated!
Brinley's lifejacket
2 sunscreen bottles
water bottle
tupperware of frozen fruit for the pool
snacks
Brinley's after pool cover-up
I can easily add one or two more big towels and definitely more snacks. With the inside pockets, everything has a place and it is so organized. I can't wait to take it on trips. Or just walk outside with it. And show off my creation. Can you tell I am just a little bit proud of my work??
you can really see the size standing up against Brinley
I need to add a decorative button to the outside pocket just for style
Inside liner
another view of the front
side shot
look at all that stuff!
3, 5'' pockets on one side
one 10'' pocket on the other side
ew I look weird in this picture, but cute bag right?
showing off the inside
working it :-)











go cute!!! you did a great job!
ReplyDeleteBag model! You did such a great job. I love the red and white stripe. In fact, that's the material I used as the backdrop for the circus party! It's so thick and sturdy! That bag is just the perfect size. I love big bags. I mean business when I go to the pool. Nice work, Meags!
ReplyDeleteWhoo! I would totally buy one of these from you, btw. Just name your price!
ReplyDeleteAlmost thou temptest me to sew...
ReplyDelete...sew close!
But I would mess it up, so I'll just have to be jealous until I BUY my own beach bag!
AWESOME. It's so perfectly beachy. Love the colors!!
ReplyDeleteYou could make those for everyone for x-mas! Super CUTE!
ReplyDeletei LOVE how BIG it is!!! The red stripes and polka dots is such a cool factor. keep sewing girl!
ReplyDeleteSo cute
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you made this! I absolutely love it and I love all the details you put into it. Seriously, Meagan. You need to stop saying sewing isn't your strong point. It totally is. Love that fabric, too!
ReplyDeletethis bag is legit! you are awesome! i need you to sew with me sometime so i can have confidence!
ReplyDeletethat is Awesome!! how cute. good sewing job... and How SWeet of your Mom!! i love that it's huge for towels and all and has those pockets for everything.
ReplyDeleteVery cute! Just pinned this.
ReplyDeleteawesome! Thanks for sharing! This is amazing. I want one, toO!
ReplyDelete