Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Projects for Baby Girl

Baby girl is basically fully supplied with all the necessities:

-clothes for the rest of her life
-toys and books
-crib
-changing table
-bouncy chair
-pack n play
-high chair
-bumbo
-car seat
-stroller

I have been thinking lately about things she stil might need. Call it nesting, call it whatever. I call it preparation!! Like, when we moved from Rexburg, we gave away the baby tub. So, a baby tub is on our list. But now that I've learned through Brinley, we need a simpler tub like this one, instead of a hard plastic tub that are big and bulky. We had that with Brinley because we were desperate, and I hated using it!

We plan on getting a brand new coming home from the hospital outfit. Like this one...adorable. Love that sleeper! 

I am motivated again to bust out my sewing machine! Sewing those blackout curtains was an exhausting process, and since we reorganized our bedroom once again, the desk is open for use so I won't have to put away my sewing stuff every time. 

Project #1
Gauzey Swaddle Blankets
The light gauze fabric is perfect for Florida swaddling. I plan on making 3 or 4 swaddle blankets in a rainbow of colors. I am excited to get this project started! I found gauze fabric here, which is half the price than at Joann's! 

Project #2
Dying baby white onesies
We have soooo maaaany white onesies size 0-12 months it is crazy town. Brinley was wearing 2 layers or more the first 6 months of her life, so I'm thinking now that we live in Florida, this baby won't need to double up as often as Brinley needed to. The majority of them are milk stained so the perfect way to liven those babies up is to dye them! 

Project #3
Jazzing up burp rags
I am not about to reuse Brinley's old burp rags, especially taking in consideration how much Brinley spit up. Eeek! She was a constant leaky faucet. We never used the Gerber cloth diapers as burp rags for Brinley like maaaaany moms do. I was jealous of them, that's for sure! They looked much more absorbable than the ones we were using. So, my plan: Jazz Up Burp Rags.

Project #4
Binky Clips
These babies saved my life with Brinley aka the child who would constantly spit her binky out at random moments in random places ie public restrooms, airports, church, grocery store, out on walks, etc. I didn't catch on until she was about 4 months old! I am determined to be more prepared this time around!! Of course we will be using the NUK binkies :-) they are the best!

Project #5 
Special Blanket
To this day, nearly 3 years later, we still use the special baby blanket Auntie Kristine made for Brinley (you can totally see in that video that Brinley already started twirling her hair! She was only 3 weeks old! We weren't lying that she came out of the womb twirling!!).  It is usually my go-to blanket for trips. It has gone from being the best playing on the floor blanket, to an outdoor swaddle blanket on winder days, blanket to cover up a window to make it darker for naps, a lap blanket in the stroller, and now we use it as the perfect crib blanket on chillier nights. This blanket meant the world to me when we got it, and now that I can sew a bit myself, I thought I would try it out and sew up a special blanket for this new baby!

10 comments:

  1. I had such a fun time dying white onesies and gauze blankets when I did mine! I will suggest using the liquid dye and not the powder RIT dye. It left my things blotchy and I heard thats the downfall of powder. So def go with liquid RIT dye. Although the Tulip and Dylon powder worked much better than RIT. Can't wait to see how your projects turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear those gauzey swaddle blankets are a MUST. can't wait to see the finish of all these projects. you're a wonder mom. i wish we lived close so we could work on projects together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good advice! Ya, I've never dyed anything, so this was perfect. How long did you soak them for??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously Jane....I need you AND Kristine close by....someday....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can't wait to see how all of these projects turn out. You are wonder woman, for sure. We love watching old (and new!) videos of baby Brinley. She has always had such a sweet and spunky personality. I can't wait to see how this new baby girl is. What will she look like!? Gah! Can you send me your new address?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see your sewing machine is getting good use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was doing them staggered so I'm not sure how much time each soaked for, but I think it was like 20-30 minutes. The longer they soak the more color they take in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to make gauze blankets too and found that same tutorial!

    We swear by Playtex Binky pacifiers in this house but every baby has their preferences!

    And I'm really glad you are making baby girl some things that are made for her. I think sometimes the second child of a gender just gets the things already on hand and there isn't something just for them. Way to go mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am SO happy that that blanket is loved and in good use still. that makes me feel so good. love that brin. i love all these projects you are going to tackle. show us when you complete them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these projects look like winners! and it looks like you've got your work cut out for you! i loved brin in that video! little tiny girl!

    ReplyDelete