The week before we went to Charlotte, my parents were up in Canada visiting family and also for my Dad to attend a work conference. They met up with my grandparents at their cabin in British Columbia for a few days. I hate missing out when other members of my family get together, but it was fun to hear all the fun stories when we were in Charlotte. My grandparents gave my parents a home video they sent them as a Christmas present in 1990. (such a cute idea too....we may have to do that someday when we have a house full of kiddos). So, on Sunday night, we watched the video as a family in Charlotte.
The video took us through a normal day. We celebrated my little brother's 2nd birthday, my sister and I had a dance recital (might I add, we were the best dancers hehe), and my dad filmed us older 3 kids outside playing while my younger bro was taking a nap. Our awesome dog, Nephi, was playing in the yard with us. My parents kept saying, yaaa we really didn't know what to do with a dog. The poor shih tzu had never been groomed. HAHA he was a mess!
We really did laugh practically through the whole video. It was just so funny to ourselves in our normal routine as a family. It was just an average Saturday. Cleaning up the backyard and spending time together as a family. We were dang cute!
What really killed me was seeing my mom in the "mom action." Meaning, she was sweeping up the patio outside, while having a birthday cake bake in the oven, getting her hair cut that afternoon, wrapping birthday gifts, putting my hair and my sister's in sponge curlers for our dance recital...I mean, this woman was SUPERWOMAN. She was serving in Church and probably the PTA president and Room Mom's for all of us, too.
Not that my mom isn't like that as a grandma, but as a Mom, it's different. Her voice to us was just so gentle and motherly. I could see myself a lot in her. Especially how she would talk to my younger brother. I now believe what my parents always said, "You kids always were so nice to each other." We all were! We played with each other so nicely and in the whole video (almost an hour), there wasn't a temper tantrum (go me!) or any fighting. Pretty amazing if you ask me. We were aged 8,6,4, and 2.
My Mom came into the camera view one time and said, "Marilyn (my grandma)! Look! My first fruit cake that I made for Christmas! It was supposed to sit for 3 weeks, but Rob had to take a bite the day after it was made. But, look at the profile! Look at the fruit! It's Beautiful!!" I LAUGHED OUT LOUD!
Her domestic ability was/is pretty intimidating. She told me after the movie that it all almost killed her. She did TOO much. But- she reminded me that she did have 4 kids, so it wasn't like insta-domestic SuperWoman. Phew! You guys, I still have time!
What really got to me was at the end. My Dad set up the video and we all packed on the couch to just say Merry Christmas and sing some songs. My dad was just saying that they were happy to spend Christmas as a family but were sad to be so far away. We were living in LA. No family around. My dad said that he drove 60 miles to work everyday...one way...60 miles. He would come home exhausted, I'm sure. He was also the Young Men's President. He was the best Dad growing up and I never remember a time where he didn't play with us and walk in the door grumpy. He always told me, leave the work place at the door. Never come inside mad. Something I have always tried to learn, but I am so grateful I married a man, who in this aspect, is very much like my Dad :-)
They filmed the home and it made me realize how small and humble everything was. They were so proud of their home. It was their first bought home and even though we laugh now because it looked pretty...run down...it was theirs and they loved it. The simple pictures on the white walls reminded me of our home now.
There is so much pressure to have the best decorated home and the most creative crafts and frankly, I am definitely not into that competition. Pinterest doesn't help... I know that in our situation, we simply cannot afford anything that isn't in our survival column. Ya, I wish I could sew all day long. But we can't afford thread. Ya, I wish I could put up picture frame after picture frame, but honestly, those Walmart $5 frames are more than I'd like to spend. And you know what? I don't really care! I know I have YEARS ahead of me to worry about making my home ultra homey. But for now, I love where we live and I love my home. White walls and all :-)
This video really made me so incredibly grateful and blessed to have such amazing parents. It really showed my parents in their natural roles as husband and wife, father and mother.
21 years later.
I'd say they accomplished what they set out to do. In those 21 years they have:
moved 5 more times
always attended the temple every month
changed jobs multiple times
my Mom worked nights at UPS while my Dad was attending The University of Washington for his PhD
continually held callings in Church
all 4 children graduated from high school
sent out 2 missionaries (almost 3!)
watched 2 children get sealed in the temple
been with all 4 children in the temple to receive their endowment
the proud grandparents of 2 grandson's and one granddaughter
and have always, always worked their very hardest at everything they do.
I know this post isn't my usual, but I just needed to record my thoughts on this beautiful moment we had together. Ryan and I really needed this trip. Also, I needed the reminder that life isn't always glamorous and lavish, but together as a family (and with God), anything is possible. I love this quote in my parents house that says,
We may not have it together, but together we have it all.
I know you read this Mom and Dad. If a whole blog post dedicated to you guys doesn't say "I LOVE YOU" all over it, I'm not sure what does!
what a sweet post.
ReplyDeleteLove. This is so, so sweet. And awesomely in line with my lesson tomorrow! :o)
ReplyDeleteAwesome post.
ReplyDeletei want to see this video!! i love home videos. my mom posted a few on our family blog and it made me want to take more video of daily life. so fun to see. i sure love you steeles! you do have amazing parents. i always loved going to your house. so warm and loving. just wish i could see you guys more often!!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this post... thank you for posting it really made me realize some things especially the part about making our home "homey." Beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful video =)
ReplyDeleteWe can't afford anything that isn't in our survival column either. We scrimped and saved for years so that we could buy seeds to start a vegetable garden and buy materials to make a chicken coop. YEARS. Lol. I know what you mean - sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the rush of 'doing this or having that means I'm a good parent' or what-not, and it's sad to look around and see how humble your home is when you can't afford those things...
But I can't help but think that none of those crafts and classes and toys are what matters in the end. If my daughter remembers a couple fun crafts but doesn't have any memories of me playing tag with her in the yard, then I won't really feel like I've succeeded. And playing tag is free.