Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I want you to know (video style)

It isn't always hugs and kisses and rainbows and puppies and butterflies here in the Briggs home. Ahem....Brinley. I hope this last post about her wasn't like, there isn't a cranky bone in her body...she is an angel ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

The good times definitely outweigh the bad, but it seems lately, with all her new found independence and new words, she gets easily frustrated. Temper tantrums are more frequent and she has started to (gasp) HIT! She hits me sometimes when she doesn't get her way. Is this common at 19 months or did she get this from nursery?? 

Sometimes, the ONLY thing I can do to please her is turn on Dora. That 30 minutes for her is COMPLETELY focused and quiet. She doesn't even LOOK at me. If I interrupt her, she usually pushes me away saying "Noooooooo!" We watch one episode in the morning to help keep her quiet when I'm putting the baby down for a nap, and one in the afternoon around 3pm. BUT, but, there are some days when I couldn't care less if she watched 5 episodes in a row. I'll admit to it. There are days like that. And I don't think I'm a bad mom for clicking "next episode" on Netflix. (but don't tell me if you think I am for doing it...okay? this is a nice family blog). Not to mention she has cut 11 teeth in the past 6 months. Her mouth hurts constantly. And the poor girl rarely gets to run around outside. The heat factor and the baby watching factor does not help a restless 19 month old to be a normal kid who can go to the park all the time and run around.

We took this video Sunday morning. Brinley rediscovered her LOVE of pretzels over the weekend and she thinks that for every meal, she can eat pretzels, and nothing else. Unfortunately, I am pretty focused when it comes to mealtime to give her a structured meal, protein, carb, veggie/fruit. She ONLY wanted "pretttts." No Brinley, we're not having pretzels for breakfast. 

And you get this reaction:


Did you see my most recent post at Belly Mamas??

9 comments:

  1. Addie thinks that every meal needs candy, so I think you're doing just fine with the pretzels. Also, I thinl every little kid goes through a hitting phase. At least Brinley doesn't bite... Mike and I have both gotten battle wounds. And TV is our friend some days. Sometimes its the best you can do, so don't worry. And NEVER feel like a bad mom for letting your kid watch a little bit of TV. That's my mantra some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsea would watch Dora all day if we let her but she did learn a lot and remember bad moms don't worry if they are being bad moms or not and I love Pretzels too so I can relate to Brinley :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, please don't beat yourself up over a little (or a lot) of Dora. Sometimes it's all you can do when there's nothing else TO do, especially in your case with the babies and being stuck inside a lot. People can think what they want. Your little girl isn't zoning out all day, and is obviously super smart and social. TV is certainly not hurting her.
    Noah boycotted breakfast the last couple of mornings. At one point, I was following him around asking every few minutes, "You want some oatmeal??" lol. I'm sure that wasn't annoying at all. I think you've pretty much got a normal toddler on your hands. :) At least she's super cute, right?? Makes it easier to deal with the fits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretzels are practically cheerios and I for one like pretzels better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It still IS truth tuesday right? Well, truthfully, I always felt bad telling you Greta bites. Greta is a stinker. Greta can be such a crank sometimes. Because I thought Brin was an angel ALL of the time and I felt like I must be doing something wrong! But when I pressed play on that video I started cracking up. That cry. That super-familia-open-mouthed cry. I thought that was my little girl at times. Don't get me wrong, Greta was an angel all day today (she even gave me a kiss, which she has NEVER done), but I have so many moments when I am just trying to communicate through her fits. I think we are doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. at least she wants pretzels. lilli wan'ts candy/ fruit snacks for EVERY meal (the girl seriously never eats)
    The hitting isn't a nursery thing, they just don't know how to appropriately express themselves yet... Lilli does it too (and we're of course working on it!)
    As far as tv goes? don't feel bad. sometimes you BOTH need it. For lilli it's mickey mouse clubhouse. she stares at the tv saying "mouse, mouse, mouse" the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so terrible for LOVING that video?? Miley is the same with any time she even glimpses soda and anytime you do share with her she gulps and gulps as much as she can, its pretty hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well I will tell you she is totally like ryan either that will make you feel better or want to cry lol sometimes I cry. 18 months til about now and he just turned two were the WORST EVER. i'd take back my colicky baby any day. I think its just the age as a lot of his friends go through the same stuff. hang on it does get better though!

    and seriously she can live off pretttts for a few days its a scary thought but it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pitiful with the little tear stuck in her eye. mean ol mommy making her eat right. ha she is soo adorable, even mid tantrum.

    ReplyDelete